Cota 348 Questions

behyer

I just bought a 1978 Cota 348, with the intention of making it run reliably, possibly competing, but mostly riding it on a mountainside in West Virginia that I've recently come into. I always liked this bike; a friend owned one back when they were new and I've wanted one ever since. I didn't set out to buy one, but a good deal (I think) came my way and the bike is in great shape cosmetically and supposedly runs.

Upon delivery, I gassed it up and got it to start after some struggling. That was a couple days ago. Today I can't get it to start at all. It's got a strong spark but seems to be getting flooded (maybe), but I just can't get it to catch. Doesn't even seem to try to start. When I pulled the plug, it was wet, so my guess is either a timing issue or the carb is not doing its job properly. It's an Amal, stock to the machine (as is everything else as far as I can tell).

Any tips? Is there a trick to getting these things to start reliably? Does anyone care to hazard a guess as far as whether it's a carb issue or the timing? Anything in particular I need to know about rebuilding an Amal carb? I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Where are you in the hillbilly? I to am in WV and may be able to help you. My 348 likes to flood when left sitting. take the tank off and pull the plug, turn the whole bike upside down and pull the kicker threw make sure you are holding the kill switch so it cann't spark! Don't want it catch fire. When the gas stops coming out try a dry plug in it. Alway turn the petcock off when letting the bike sit. By the way I'm in Buckhannon

good chance you are loosing the spark under compression and then it floods replace plug and cap check ht lead ,id replace points if dont look in good nick but mostly if the condensor is still on the stator disconnect it and wire an old car type to the the coil wire under the tank as it will keep cool better

If the bike has been sitting for any length of time prior to your purchase, the least you need to do is:

• disassemble the carb and blow out all jets with carb cleaner.
  • replace the slide if shows signs of wear.
  • move the condensor as mentioned above.
  • replace the points with Motoplat points, set to 4 mm. Do not use other brands, as they tend to pit.
  • Set timing at 1.8 mm btdc

I agree with previous postings, but the Amal carb can be problematic at times. I had similar issues and ended up replacing carb slide, jets, needle etc with no joy untill I examined the choke in detail. It failed to seat correctly and was flooding the motor, causing starting and running isssues. Pleased to say, it runs sweet with std carb data settings; not bad for a 30 year old bike on the original piston.

• 1 month later...

Hi i have just joined as i a getting a cota 348(mayb 349) i think off my neighbour for free, it is seized and without a carb but i am going to restore it, i dont think it has been going for about 10 years and has always been sat in his garage any time ive been about(im 15), only problem being, cant get a hold of the manual, does anyone have one they could photocopy or email or message through this to me as i would be happier stripping my first trials engine with a manual.

any tips for these engines would help and keep an eye on this thread as i will post when i get it with questions or help i need

• 1 month later...

An update on my 348:

- Replaced the Amal with an OKO (thanks, Mid-Atlantic Trials) and it runs way better. Good power delivery from idle to full throttle. Only weird thing is that the gas feed is opposite the petcock, so the line has to snake over the carb and getting to the choke is awkward.

- New tires, as the old ones were dry-rotted.

- Ended up ordering a bunch of stuff from InMotion in the UK, since I couldn't get NOS fork gaiters and a gasket set in the US. Good service from them and I got the stuff in 7 days (!) via Royal Mail and the USPS.

- The bike runs well; next up is suspension and electrical.

Special thanks to my mechanic, Ben Kelly of Max Dirt in Sugar Hill, Georgia. He has a Beta himself, and enjoys taking a break from the KTMs and Hondas, to work on a beautiful classic motorcycle. "This is gonna be fun" he said when I first showed him the bike.

See a couple other shots at...

http://behyer.tumblr.com/#

Edited by behyer