The Scott

zerorev3rev4

Have to say I was very surprised when DL was the winner. I saw him in the latter half of the trial and he fived 2 section where quite a few of riders went clean - I though he was having an off day - now the reason is clear.

On a sadder note I also saw the following.

Minders carrying spare wheels etc to sections - clearly pre arranged outside mechanical assistance and outside the rules. Had I seen them actually use the wheels I would have taken the riders numbers and reported them.

Riders cutting the course, not a lot but significant. in past events I have known of several riders excluded for less than what I saw yesterday.

riders not completing the section and only getting a 5 for it. Some riders (including Emma Bristow) made a real effort and expended a lot of time and energy struggling and pushing through sections, whereas some only rode several yards in and then turned out and went on their way with only a five and little loss of time and energy.

My feeling is that the trial was probably a bit harder than it should be. I don't say the scott should not be tough but it is primarily a clubmans trial and I would hate to see entry numbers fall. A winner on 55 and very few under 100 suggest it has room to be eased.

Far better to ease it a bit and make all riders traverse the full length of all sections than have the sections too hard and then randomly let riders exit at different points.

• Like 3

riders not completing the section and only getting a 5 for it. Some riders (including Emma Bristow) made a real effort and expended a lot of time and energy struggling and pushing through sections, whereas some only rode several yards in and then turned out and went on their way with only a five and little loss of time and energy.

Thing is if the rules state you only have to enter the section then why waste 10 minutes struggling and pushing through?

One of the reasons I stopped going to Sheffield was one year a rider missed a section out to finish on time, rather than ride the section maybe get a 5 and incur some time penalties?

Back to the Scott if it saves time and your hanging then why struggle?

• Like 1

Hi there gizza5

The rules state you must make a bonafide or genuine attempt at the section, not just enter the inn cards. What I saw on Saturday were many attempts that were not genuine. The riders just rode in on the easy flat for a few yards, bumped the front wheel against the first big rock then swung out and rode away. I don't know the final instructions to be given to observers but not that long ago it was a requirement to enter between in cards, traverse the full length of the section and leave between the outs. Observers used to allow occasional breaches when someone was stuck for a long time causing excessive queues by following riders.

How come someone just happened to have a spare wheel on the moors for Michael Brown - as acknowledged on John Shirts report? If this sort of thing continues it will make the scott a joke just like drug taking did to the tour de france.

• Like 1

Hi there gizza5

The rules state you must make a bonafide or genuine attempt at the section, not just enter the inn cards.

Riders asking for fives at the SSDT too many times are unlikely to get an entry again? Can't see the Scott adopting this policy as it is not over subscribed and who is to say someone hasn't made a bonafide attempt within their riding capabilities?

Unfortunately its down to that volunteer observer again who also has to judge how many dabs they have had, whether they stopped or didn't stop etc, etc.

My personal opinion if anyone is brave enough to go across Grouse Moor at full chat then fair play.

I have ridden enough SSDT's to know that when I got to a section after the mother of all moor crossings, what I thought I could do was far removed from what actually happened and that is reality <_<

if someone wants to only ride part of the section and move on a five is all they should get in my opinion the trial is hard enough.

why do the organisers not try and clip some sort of metal tag around the spokes of the front and rear wheels of each bike to prevent wheels from being changed over. mere mortals dont have people racing to meet them with spare wheels why should factory riders.

Observers have the opportunity in their observer books to make remarks regarding completing the section, if the observer does not think a given rider has made a valid attempt to the section, it can result in the disqualification of said rider(s). It has happened before and will happen again.

This years event was good, didn't seem any harder than previous years, its meant to be tough! The sections aren't that hard, similar to centre championship std, its just because they are ridden blind and your arms are completely shot.

I hope it is possible to mark the 100th year with 100 miles and 100 sections as it will truly be the ultimate test for any trials rider. Roll on 2014!