280I Ossa Gearbox/clutch Growling Noises..

scorpatic

My OSSA 280i is close to 100 hours up after two years, which is not high usage.

I change the oil religiously and keep the bike in primo order but I do notice that there's a very weird low rumbly whine coming from the left side of the crankcase when under load in taller gears.

This is disconcerting and I'd like to know if its fixable?

It is not present all the time but most noticeable when the torque is loaded, perhaps its the lower e=rev range which enables me to hear it, or perhaps it disappears at higher revs, Any thoughts?

If it is In the gearbox/clutch, they look to be really easy to pull.

Pull the whole cassette and check all the bearings.

They have made a few upgrades on the transmission, but I don't know what they did.

Still under warranty?

• 2 months later...

Peter Boettcher, the importer and a bit of an engineering genius, has found a way to fix the issue.

Its quite a modification with the replacement of a teflon coated bearing way deep inside the gearbox.

His fix has been made out of delrin and is fantastic. Noise stopped, and I seem to have more torque as well.

I recently rode an enduro route with the Waitemata MCC and there was no way enduros were going to pass me on hills and steep sections.

Certainly I would pull over and let them pass but the Ossa pulled like a schoolboy up those slopes.

Happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I have a 2013 Ossa that from new, has had a whirring noise in 2nd gear.

It is audible whether the clutch is in or out or if the bike is moving or not.

The local dealer has had the gearbox out and there are no obvious worn gears or bearings.

We put it back together thinking it may improve with time....

Anyone experienced this noise and got a solution?

Or got any ideas what could be causing it.

I have a 2012 explorer with about 6 hours on it. It does have a noticeable whirring when in gear, but other OSSAs have it too, so I am not too worried about it.

I have already had the tranny out (to fix a user related issue) and it is dead easy to pull out and put back together. There are a few things to watch for, but its really very easy compared to other bikes. There are some PDFs on the OSSAUSA and OSSAUK web sites that have all the information. However the instructions do not have removal of the "clutch fixer nut", which was stock on the explorers and an add on some TR280s. This needs to be removed along with the tranny bolts before the tranny will pop out.

So what importer is Peter Boettcher with? I am interested in his modification. I like working in the shop as much as I like riding...

Edited by trialtrial

So what importer is Peter Boettcher with? I am interested in his modification. I like working in the shop as much as I like riding...

Peter Boettcher is half the NZ importing team & is on here from time to time