Oset 24V - Motor Seized :(

waynerobshaw

Hi all,

Got the oset out this morning but the motor is totally seized. When it got put away everything was working perfectly, so strange that its now seized. Even with molegrips on the sprocket it wont budge :(

Im guessing it a new motor, but anyone had similar?

Ive never had a trials bike cost me as much as this Oset!

Cheers

Wayne.

Never had anything to do with ossets but corrosion in laminated electrical magnets can quickly swell then and seize solid any rotating electrical device or welding sets with moving transformer parts.

Brushes can stick firmly to the armature but usually a sharp tap frees this.

Son has a second hand 12.5. After a couple of months the motor sounded really 'grumbly'. Maybe because chain had been over tensioned. I managed to strip the motor and replace the two bearings (cost about a tenner for two good quality bearings plus a few hours). Not too hard, just be wary of the very strong magnets. You're obvious sounds a lot worse, but you've got nothing to loose!

Cheers all for the replies.

I stripped the motor down to find a massive amount of corrosion (shocking to see thr complete lack ofany kind of moisture protection on the motor). I cleaned off all the rust, eased the brushes (new ones needed really), put it all back togther and it roared into life! The bearings seem fine but the brushes will need replacing soon. Anyway, its saved

Nice one, glad it worked out ok. Before I stripped mine I spoke to Oset for some advice and they mentioned it is possible to fit a small seal onto the motor output shaft (maybe needed a modified end plate, can't remember exactly) so hopefully they'll be doing this on the bikes they build from now on! I bought replacement bearings with rubber shields to help protect them (although this doesn't help the motor!).

Scott