M190 Front Axle

fmc

Okay troops, here,s the start of it!!

Removed said axle for puncture, thought I studied all parts that I removed okay, put them in order back on the axle onto forks whilst puncture was dealt with I,ve tried to put the wheel back on and the axle,s not playing!!

Left side(sitting on bike) is not going flush, or slightly recessed into fork leg and leaves very little for flanged nut at other side to grab onto!

Wheel looks in centre as it should, am I missing summin??

Order of things on axle...... Slotted axle,split bush into fork,spacer bush up against top hat spacer into wheel,through drum brake into fork, washer spring washer flange nut,

When I get everything in, the slotted axle end protrudes 10-15 mm, I,ve got photos of the bike before I bought it and everything is Deffo flush as I think it should be.

Cheers in advance.

fred.

ps. I have trawled through related posts but still scratching an ever balding head!!

There is no top hat spacer between the wheel and the split bush, it is a normal spacer. There is a top hat bush inside the front brake plate, so make sure you have these the right way around first.

However, as the top hat isn't as long as the external spacer, it can't be the cause of the problem.

Sometimes the spindle end is a tight fit in the fork leg due to corrosion on both spindle head and inside of spindle housing, the spindle housing may have picked up or burred or there may be muck in there.

Take the wheel out, remove the split bush and just try to push the spindle through the leg on its own. If it resists, clean up both housing and spindle head and try again as I've come across this before now which has made it impossible to push the spindle full home without force.

Hi Woody, I,ve got a top hat spacer from somewhere!! Just can't fathom out where I,m going wrong.

I,m reasonably mechanically minded, so not a prob working out things but I,ve had this wheel on / off a half dozen times to no avail!

Assume the top hat fits into the oil seal in the wheel which the smaller diameter of it fits spot on!

If the top hat doesn't go between wheel and spacer would that not mean the spacer is right up against the seal??

Just doesn,t compute with me I,m afraid :(

Might just say I haven,t had a bike in 30 years, and this is my first 'proper' bike

I,lltake a couple of pic cays tomorrow and I,ll see if I can sleep on a bit more.

Cheers .

F

Edited by fmc

Try this,

Take wheel out.

Fit the spindle into the forks .

Put the nut on as you had it before.

Measure the distance from the the fork leg to the shoulder on the spindle. (A)

Now look at your wheel....

Measure the distance through the hub & brake plate and spacer. (B)

If measurement B is greater than A then you have possible got a spacer in the wrong orientation.

If measurement A = B check the spindle is true and without burrs.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi again, Woody/Bultacosd,

Well I,m a numpty!! Obviously didn't look close enough when taking apart!!

As Woody says top hat spacer goes brake plate side which keeps a bit of clearance for the wheel from the brake drum!

Spacer on left side fits inside the seal which was the difference when I had the top hat in there which stopped it going in!!! Dohhhhh!!

Everything hunky Dory now peeps, thanks very much for the pointers/advice.

Cheers,

Fred