My Finger Is Stuck!

lee99780

Hi all.

As the title says.....

Sometimes my clutch finger locks out straight. Which at the top of a big blast up a hill can be a problem, resulting in some unsightly mess sometimes. Does this happen to anybody else? What the f... am I doing wrong?

Cheers Nelly!

Yeah it locks out solid. Ive had a few near misses and a few 'collisions' Coming out of section, working clutch gently then released to power up hill. Couldn't pull back in at top. Launched bike 10ft into bushes snapping brake lever and bending fat bars. Cracking a few ribs too!

I have had a similar problem, after a demanding trial my clutch finger will bend and I am unable to straiten it, it can be a problem if it happens mid section as the bike comes to a stop and to a bystander it sounds and looks like the bike as dropped out of gear.

A similar thing happens to me. I believe its a type of cramp. Basically the muscle that controls that finger has gone into spasm. My solution is to drink as much liquid as possible both before and during the trial. If you use single finger clutching you may also want to consider going to two fingers as this will put less strain on the problem finger. Also massage your hand as you walk each section.Sounds silly but in the same way as an athlete warms up before exercise. Warm your hand by doing hand stretches etc before the trial starts.

• Like 1

Some basic questions, Is the finger mechanically stuck or is it the muscle simply can't pull it in? I know that before I work on a new Beta clutch the stock pull is heavy enough that by the end of the day I start to get "whisky clutch" where halfway through a section the muscle that works the finger is so fatigued it loses fine control or can't even pull in the clutch. Aside from hand exercises to help the endurance of the finger muscle the only solution I have is to reduce the clutch pull. I know there are accessory clutch springs for GasGas. Another help is to make sure your lever perch is in towards the center of the bars so you are pulling the end of the lever optimizing your leverage. If the finger locks mechanically that's a different matter and may be a problem with routing of the tendon or something odd with the joints. Does this cause pain when it locks? Other than the crashing that is. Do any other fingers have the same issue? Maybe time to see a surgeon.