Help Help Bike Will Only Run For 5 Mins Help

andybetarev3

Hi I have a gasgas txt pro 2005 300cc and it won't stay started for longer than about 5 mins just before it cuts out it lacks power then dies if i rev it high it will stay running abit longer but will run again a few mins later but only a couple of mins I've had someone rewind the starter as that's what someone said but to me it sounds like the floats in the carb are sticking and petrol is slowly seeping through thus being the reason running longer the first time because the bowl would be full if any body has any idea I would be more than happy to hear it please help thanks in advance

Sounds like fuel starvation. Investigate from the carb all the way back to the tank, just been told a story where the fuel tap was holding back a little blockage enough to fill the carb bowl but not enough to keep the engine running for long.

Get a banjo fitting (available from brake and fuel line manufactures) that suits the float bowl retaining bolt on the bottom of your carb bowl. You may need a longer bolt. Fit a clear tube to the banjo so you can monitor the fuel level. Dellorto do clear float bowls for some of their carbs. clean the carb inlet fuel filter and the filter on top of the petrol tap. Try running bike with fuel tank filler cap off - air may not be getting in.

Edited by dadof2

Choke left on? - not a silly question at all. I know a bloke who wasted several £100s on coils and CDI parts because he did not check the cold start enrichment (what you call choke) was seating / sealing properly.

Delorto has a screen at the supply hose point of entry on carb, last I knew, these can be plugged as well.

if you buy any bike, especially not from a dealer that wants to make sure you are satisfied, as such, cleaning the carb is the 1st thing to do. it is SIMPLE, you dont need a kit like you would for a car, you should take pictures as you take things apart if this is your first time, use spray carb cleaner, air compressor make sure those screw in Jets are clean all the way through, DO NOT CLEAN WITH A WIRE or drill bits, like some have.

FOR DANG SURE, when you working on parts like a Carb, do NOT overtighten things, and most of all!!! work in a CLEAN area that if you drop a part, you can find the dang thing ---> dont ask my why I know to tell you this. how many hours have I searched for the float needle that fell out while I was holding another part? too many hours and too many times, to do more than suggest that tip.

Edited by sting32
  • Like 2

Delorto has a screen at the supply hose point of entry on carb, last I knew, these can be plugged as well.

if you buy any bike, especially not from a dealer that wants to make sure you are satisfied, as such, cleaning the carb is the 1st thing to do. it is SIMPLE, you dont need a kit like you would for a car, you should take pictures as you take things apart if this is your first time, use spray carb cleaner, air compressor make sure those screw in Jets are clean all the way through, DO NOT CLEAN WITH A WIRE or drill bits, like some have.

FOR DANG SURE, when you working on parts like a Carb, do NOT overtighten things, and most of all!!! work in a CLEAN area that if you drop a part, you can find the dang thing ---> dont ask my why I know to tell you this. how many hours have I searched for the float needle that fell out while I was holding another part? too many hours and too many times, to do more than suggest that tip.

You can use fine copper wire (like from an old extention cord) to carefully clean the jets as it's softer than brass and should not damage the orifice. Copper tubing is also good for scraping burned stuff off chrome exhaust pipes for the same reason.

Jon

• Like 1

I am just wondering if any of you have tried using an ultrasonic cleaning unit to clean carbs? My brother told me he uses one to clean his guns and that they do an amazing job of getting all the little parts very clean. Unfortunately, he lives too far away for me to ask him to do some testing for me.

• Like 1

You can use fine copper wire (like from an old extention cord) to carefully clean the jets as it's softer than brass and should not damage the orifice. Copper tubing is also good for scraping burned stuff off chrome exhaust pipes for the same reason.

Jon

Excellent Advice!!! :agreed: Definitely be careful what you use to clean a jet with!!! :icon_salut:

When I was 16 or 17 yrs. old (in the middle/latter part of the last century, sorta), I cleaned the jets on a friend's XR75 with the first thing I could find at the time: my father's welding tip cleaner. Took us a while to figure out why we suddenly had a very rich running condition...... :wall: It was, however, a lesson I've never forgotten.... :hyper:

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron