Rev 3 200 Vs 270 Flywheel?

bigbird2

I have been researching the idea of converting a 2007 Rev 3 270 to a 200.

I'm trying to determine IF the 270 has a Flywheel Weight (FWW) that the 200 does not have?

In looking at the Beta parts manual http://www.lewisportusa.com/manuals/beta/Trials%20Parts%20Books/2000-08%20rev-3%202t/07%20Rev%20125-200-250-270%20Engine.pdf pages 5 (250/270) and 4 (125/200) there is an item 23 on page 5 that is labeled:

+ 23 29-07314-8 Trasmissione primaria c/camp. Primary drive with cup

which I think is an error since there is an item 22 with the same name that IS a primary drive. The item 23 ALSO shows what looks like a large FWW.

Can anyone help me figure out the answer to my question???

Thanks for any help.

You are talking the crank gear and cup which is larger for the 270. This project will cost more than a new bike, as you need a new crank assembly. You need the expertise of Ron Commo, but last I heard he was in the middle of moving and not a word since.

Actually, I've already confirmed that (contrary to what a lot of internet site info says) the 200 and 270 have the same stroke and conversion of a 270 to 200 or 200 to 270 can be done (and has been done) with change of piston, jug and head, etc.

The beta parts info on page 5 has errors on it that confuse the issue. Item 22 and 23 BOTH include the same big primary/clutch gear but 23 ALSO includes the FWW which is not on the 125/200 page 4 at all.

So if you are sure about the lower being the same. The question is not needed. The 200 is a sweet bike, but I never had one apart. I would worry about your info as the crank and rod kits are different for the 200. You are right about the internet info though. Ron Commo would be the only source I would trust in the states. Other wise call Beta in the UK.

The 200 comes with a 16 mm ID and 22 mm OD bushing to get from the small diameter wrist pin to the 22 mm rod end hole of the 200-270 rod. When converting a 200 to a 250/270 this bushing is replaced with an 18 mm ID 22 mm OD needle bearing.

I have spent time looking at the parts lists. From what I can tell, the difference between the 250 rod and 200 rod is that the 200 rod comes with the bushing installed. It looks to be the same case with the complete crank assembly.

As far as flywheel weights, I beleive UK sold bikes are delivered with the weights installed but US sold bikes come without them (less mud). It also looks like the ignition changed somtime on the Rev3s and the hole to hole difference on the weights have to match the year of the bike. My 2008 has an ignition made in someplace like Slovenia. One thing I do not understand is that I have seen flywheel kits for sale that include a spacer for the ignition cover to make space for the weight. My 2008 has plenty of space without any spacer. Does anyone know why that is? Maybe that is for the "other" brand of ignition.

IMO appreciation of a flywheel weight is a personal preference thing. It slows down engine response and makes the bike much more contollable in slick and slow conditions. This can make abruipt steps more challenging. With a weight, there is also a lot more run on when the throttle is closed. I like that run on when going up short walls. You can approach the wall, hit the throttle for power, chop the throttle and then let the weight pull you up the wall with no need to use throttle. However, I have a ridding buddy that rides the same things as me and he hated a weight. That run on gave him an out of control feeling.

After that long winded message, I realized that I did not answer the question. I believe the flywheel weight is item 23 on page 6. It is just a flat plate that bolts on the outside of the flywheel so it is very easy to install and remove. That page also shows the spacer, item 26. It looks like this:

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/flywheel-weight-kit

Edited by mcman56

Ah yes Beta flywheel weights. On the Rev3 before 2008 the primary gear for the 270 included an additional weight which was machined as part of the gear. (non-removable) On the 250 the primary gear was just a gear so the 250 revved quicker. In 2008 Beta reversed this and put the primary gear flywheel on the 250 and the lighter gear on the 270. If you want to know which you have just peek through the oil sight glass. If you see a flat metal surface about 5mm away from the glass you have the primary flywheel. Beta also added another weight to the ignition flywheel for the British market.