Need Opinion From Evo 4T Owners

luckaz

I don't own either but have rode a Evo 4T 300 and a 4RT 250 (old model) and from a riding perspective I'd say there's not a lot between them, Beta has better steering lock, Montesa had a better suspension feel and felt more plush, both need work on the clutch to resolve the switch like feel but I'm sure neither is going to affect your results positively or negitively on a Sunday. But, if it were my cash I'd buy a new Montesa on the basis of build quality, fuel injection and for me the single biggest factor, depreciation. 7-8 year old Montesa's are still fetching £2k - £3k whereas a thers's a 3 year old Evo on ebay for £2.5k and in a year or two that'll be worth about £1.5k.... I also think the new 4RT-260 looks the business!

I am really torn about this decision. I love that the beta is so quiet and everyone raves about the ride. I also have a great local dealer. The Monty looks awesome (IMHO), is injected, and has a new engine that is supposed to improve the ride a lot.

I do some long rides (120 km plus), way out in the wilderness (BC Canada), so reliability means a lot to me.

Love to get more feedback from those of you with knowledge of either bike.

• 2 weeks later...

iv had a 2010 and now a 2013 4T 300, worth the extra money for the T pipe, and update springs...oil change is king, get ride of the paper filter for a stainless replacememt..

i may sell my 2013 less then 20 hours on it...

Stainless replacement....where and how much?

I'm trying to decide between the 2014 evo 300 4T and the new Montesa 4RT260. For you 4t owners out there, would you buy the beta again or would you go for the Montesa if you could? Thanks for your input.

I have a 2011 Beta Evo 4T. Love the bike, starts easy, has tons of torque and has a light feel for a 4 stroke. Test drove both the Montesta 05 model and the Beta. Montesta had a snappier feel with the fuel injection, almost abrupt on the very bottom. The Beta feels much smoother, but you need to plan ahead to get it in the zone. Kind of a trade off, just like the feel of the Beta for my ridding style.

Nothing wrong with the paper filters.The Beta does have the availability of the long range kit.The Montesa main clutch has to come off for oil changes to the best of my knowledge.

Montesa, You do not take the clutch off for oil changes, you have to remove the left cover for a filter chage, which is easy, otherwise, both transmission and engine oil have normal drain bolts.

The 260 is superb, has been vastly improved and is nothing like the old 250 and would be great for what you want. The beta is a great bike and feels really nice, but the suspension is nowhere near as good as the Monts, the Beta can be a bit temperamental , due to its overly complicated fueling/cold/hot start system, whereas the Mont has fuel injection which makes it very easy. If your buying new, buy with your heart, either one, you'll enjoy. Can you not arrange a test ride on both and make your own mind up, (it's a lot of money, so try before you buy)