Moto Van Ideas...

blipontheradar

Ok you Moto-mutts, lets get something going. Who uses what to haul their toys to the various meets and general play time rides? Do you favor vans? How about a trailer? Do you camp out of it? We want information! We want pictures!

I am looking into a Moto van for myself, maybe an E-250/350 on the big side, all the way down to a Astro/Safari on the little end. Talk about it folks, lets see it!

Blip...

post-19084-0-64201600-1384506132_thumb.jpg

have a 99 suburban thats been all over the land, with a trailer, or hitch hauler, also my old school Chevy truck with camper for weekend long events,

i used a plain astro van for a couple years, cheaper to drive that...but the trans started to get week, so i parted it out...

would use an Astro van again with lower miles...2 Trials bikes, riders, gear, and ravanesh Brittany Spanials fit nicely..

Full size vans are the way to go with bikes. I always preferred the Dodge. The chevy full size usually got better mileage than the Astro. The Astro drove fine, but you sure give up a lot of room for no cost savings. Best way to travel with the bikes secure and no parking problems vs everyone driving a bus nowadays.

I got a Nissan NV 1500 earlier this year and love it . It (after about 30k on the clock )has averaged 21 mpg total ...(yeah I keep track of every gallon and mile :) )

I've got the 4.0v6 and it has enough oommph for any thing I would want to tow . I installed a 2/3 bench from a totaled E350 with the quick disconnect brackets and all . But even with the seat in place I can put 3 bikes and gear easily inside , but I usually haul my bikes on my little Triton trailer , to keep the inside of the van cleaner . With seat in place it sleeps 3 fine , 4 if needed . I've added side panels with insulation and insulated the roof too , stays cool or warm as needed . They are assembled in Mississippi , and drive like a full size P.U. with a camper shell . The frame and underpinning's are quite stout . Nissan has hit it right on the mark , as the fullsize fords and GM's are no longer made , I believe ...

Glenn

post-1232-0-13487400-1384610313_thumb.jpg

I had a shot of it at the W.R. with trailer and my bikes all around , But I think the gremlins got that one ...

Must be a strange angle with the camera , it looks stubby in that shot !!!

And PS. THE BEST OE. rear view mirrors I've ever used ....!

Edited by axulsuv

Cool, so we have a strong recomendation for the Nissan, a Dodge and a astro user, aa burban and a P/U with a shell.. Quite the spread... Do any of the van owners, users or any of you folks travel in them for say three to four days at a streach, sleeping and or cooking and the like? How do you kit them out for sleeping, cooking? Do you use a generator or shore power?

I have had many vans, motor homes, and truck campers through the years. A well kitted van means you are hauling the bikes in a trailer, which I despise pulling a trailer. Been riding and camping more than 40 years. I prefer the keep it simple approach. Two bikes, sleeping bags, one large cooler, small table, coleman stove and an easy up. I carry one 5 gallon water bottle (For bathing and drinking) Bag each for riding gear and clothes. One small tool box, and bike fuel.

I prefer a well insulated van. (So buy a conversion van and gut out the bed and chairs) I haul both bikes inside. To sleep I unload the bikes and just roll the bags on the floor. Two people have plenty of room, even better for one as you can leave the bike inside.

If you need more electricity than 12 volts, buy a motorhome. I camp more than 30 days every year this way.

3.6 v6 gas or 3.0 I4 diesel, I think mileage is in mid 20's on the road with diesel being more, but unfortunatly I cannot bring myself to like any new diesel that you have to add urea for exhaust emissions. Diesel is too high now already!!!

• Like 1

That Dodge is flat not in the budget. Would be so cool.... Oh well, on to the next ideas. Lineaway, you say you bag it for the most part, cool, this is a bit more to my thinking, for this truck, can't see myself camping more than a few days at a streach. Do you happen to be in the Southwest? Or south? I am in texas, and i am telling you that AC is the next thing on the down the list from water for survival in the summer. Do you have a way to cool the van? Or is that in the ball park of buy a camper?

Enjoy the ride Amigo...

Blip...

Well I live in the dry southwest (nm). Camping in the summer months usually means in the cool mountains. Shade is about all we need to stay cool other wise. By the way, I freeze 4 gallon jugs of water and at least a dozen small water bottles to keep my refreshments nice and cool. As long as I have a cold one, no air conditioner needed. But if you live in the humid part of Texas, I could see a use for a generator!

Isn't it amazing how much longer blocks of ice last as apposed to just ice alone ?!

I knew great minds thought alike ...

And I have a small inverter ,1500 watt , for a small fan when needed . And I always try to bring my matco jump box with me just in case too ...

the Dodge looks much easier. Yes, i live in DFW, while not as humid as often as houston, we will get 60-80% and 100-110 deg. When you drive your car you would swear you were pushing a bow wake, and when you stop your car wallows.... geezz... AAC is a must i think...

Enjoy the ride Amigo...

Blip...

• 2 weeks later...