2003 Gas Gas Txt Pro Gearbox Problem!

renegade master

Hi guys,

recently a buddy of mine took my gas gas 280 txt pro out for a warm up spin, when he came back the bike was stuck in second or frist gear ( i cant remember) and the gear peddle was at the 11 o clock position rather than the normal 9 o clock position, we couldnt change up nor down!, on inspection we removed the clutch cover and found a mangled up "shift shaft return spring" and a bit of metal filings as well, also the inside of the clutch cover was damaged where the clutch release arm was rubbing up against it, I think that bit was due to not having the clutch hub bolt in it! anyway I though this would be an eazy fix! but the other day I was practicing balance on an other bike in the shed when I knocked over the gas gas and it slid down on it side with no damage to it! but when I picked it up and put it back on its side I seen some bearing needles laying on the casing below where the clutch fits..... and not just that but to make things even worse theres two different sizes of needdles in it! I am thinking that when the bike was on its side these needles rollers fell out from the crank case? ....... I am wondering should I say "can anyone help" or is this just a aother gas gas horror story!.... anyway I am thinking it could be some bearing off the gear set? it might also be the crank shaft bearing or the kick shaft bearing as well? But it is not the clutch end plate bearing..... I think I need to strip the lot down to see! grrrrr I would say thats a pain in the rear!

Any opinions?

Any advice?

Any scrap dealers? lol

ps I have attached some pics of it

post-19212-0-21046400-1384715190_thumb.jpg

post-19212-0-24042900-1384715232_thumb.jpg

Im afraid theres definitely 2 needle roller bearings side by side that the clutch slides on over the crank. I remember it being a bit awkward to get tge clutch over both.

Yes, there are two caged needle bearings with a thin wire circlip separating them. When the bearings are excessively worn, the rollers will fall out. Perhaps several became

detached when the clutch hub was installed and as they would fall underneath the clutch assembly, they would not be noticed.

Jon

Thanks guys for your help and input, its much appreciated, After reading your comments I would say your right about that hub bearing causing the damage, and the reason I didnt cop this was because I was looking at the manual that I had (same as Lineaway posted up page 60) This is a pitty as I have gone a little bit father with my inspection! wish I waited now! but maybe after something like that its better to inspect the lot and make sure the gear set is not damaged as well, I wonder why that bearning is not on the manual? does anyone know the part no.?

Thanks guys for your help and input, its much appreciated, After reading your comments I would say your right about that hub bearing causing the damage, and the reason I didnt cop this was because I was looking at the manual that I had (same as Lineaway posted up page 60) This is a pitty as I have gone a little bit father with my inspection! wish I waited now! but maybe after something like that its better to inspect the lot and make sure the gear set is not damaged as well, I wonder why that bearning is not on the manual? does anyone know the part no.?

For the bearings (needs two)........MT280432039

Circlip spacer wire.........................MT280432139

Jon

• Like 1

Again Jon, I agree spot on! clean it out and see what happens.'

Renegade Master. Just make sure you get all of the slivers of metal out of there. Especially and I mean ESPECIALLY from inbetween the kick start 1/4 gear and the mating gear. The tollarances are so tight here that if you don't it will crack your outer clutch cover as the metal pushes the gears apart.

--Biff

I would think that the damage to the two strengthing ribs above clutch shaft in the case may have been caused by the wobbling clutch basket (caused by the loss of needles in the hub bearings).

Jon