40Mm Marzocchi Forks Disassembly (And Hopefully, Reassembly)

mr neutron

Michael,

Thank you so much, both for your response just now, and for the one I linked to above. Thank You! Once I pulled my head outta my a$$, it all became pretty clear. Guess I typed & posted first, and then took the time to think.....

I normally do use synthetic fluid; Red Line in this case. I actually prefer to run the really light fluid viscosities, in the winter and summer. The lighter fluids all seem to have the higher centistoke ratings, and in my old KTM, they just seemed to stay more consistent & last longer.

But the shim stacks in these 'Zokes seem to be meant more for the heavier fluids, like 7.5 wt. or more. If a (Heavy :shutup: ) person wants to run the thinner fluids, it would seem making a stiffer shim stack would be in order? My rebound stack has (2) 20mm dia. shims X .11mm thick, and a 13mm dia. X .16 thick backer. To use the thinnner fluids, would a slightly bigger diameter backer shim, say, around 16mm, help in that respect?

Maybe I should buy another treadmill instead......

Jimmie

Jimmie,

the nice thing about the rebound/compression separation is that you can adjust the viscosity/damping independently. You can stiffen the compression and still keep the springy rebound if you want by upping the viscosity on the comp side. The shim stack seems to work well with 7.5 wt. oil. If you are having bottoming problems, up the oil level, which affects tha last third of travel. I like the synthetics as the anti-foaming agents and lubricity is more advanced than the mineral-based oils

If static sag is an issue due to over-design rider weight, go to heavier springs before trying to compensate with damping changes (over correcting with damping to make up for incorrect spring rate never really works out well). If you have the experience, you could go two-stage shim stack and piston port changes but I think that would be over-thinking the issues and more in the area of Adam Raga riding level. Such as, going to a 16mm backing shim on a two washer stack might be a little much and you might be better off with a .2 13mm.

If you are coming over to Trials from speed-based competition like I did, one of the adjustments I had to make was that you will need to make little, if any, modifications to have a competitive bike (a lot of the changes we do on our bikes is just to make us feel good and I do a lot of stuff on my bikes because I have a lot of fun with that). Good, routine maintenance and adjustment will work wonders. Trials is a skill sport, which can be tough on egos, as I found out the first event I rode...:). This was brought home to me when I was hanging around the GasGas tent at the World Round at Duluth in 2005, talking with the riders and seeing what they did to their bikes. Other than Raga and Fajardo's bikes being shipped in, all the other riders were on dealer-supplied stock bikes with a few special parts (to suit their riding styles) that the riders had brought with them.

Jon.

ps. I'm guessing that you, like me, enjoy working on bikes as much as you like to ride them....:)

• Like 1

Hi, Jon!

Hope you guys aren't freezing too much back there, and further hope the earthquake didn't affect you. I also wish OSU would've won the football game against the Sooners, but we can't have everything, huh?

Thanks for the advice, Sir! :icon_salut::thumbup:

It does indeed amaze me how little these bikes need for suspension work compared to mx/ off road/enduros & such. I've been told by my friends out here to "back away from the wrenches, and just learn to ride the thing first!". Which is also very good advice..... Yes, I do enjoy working on my bike, I confess. But I do enjoy riding even more...... Our temps have been in the teens & twenties, so my rides here on my property have been brief; only 20-30 minutes, or until I no longer have feeling in my fingers.....

One thing I just remembered is that I do now have a rebound adjuster again. I managed a "fix" of that while I've had them apart. I've not had one for over a year, and keep forgetting that I have that option again. I don't have "clicks" like I do on my compression side adjuster, but count the number of turns/half turns out from the bottom.

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

One thing I just remembered is that I do now have a rebound adjuster again. I managed a "fix" of that while I've had them apart. I've not had one for over a year, and keep forgetting that I have that option again. I don't have "clicks" like I do on my compression side adjuster, but count the number of turns/half turns out from the bottom.

Jimmie

I have those little adjuster thingies on my fork as well, I changed from a 2000 Sherco to the 2003 GasGas. The Sherco had no adjusters, I have not touched the adjusters on the GasGas yet, partly because it works so much better as it is than the Sherco did and partly because I am scared I will mess it up and not be able to get the settings back to where it is now.........someday I may touch those little adjuster things.

Maybe I should buy another treadmill instead......

Jimmie

I suggest an Elliptical. with my arthritis in my knee the Elliptical is much smoother and less impact than a treadmill.............................now if I could just get up enough gumption to do more than just look at it. It makes an awesome coat rack......... <_<

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• 8 months later...

Well I am just refreshing the 40mm Marzocchi forks on my 07' 300txt and come to find out the person who had it before me lost both little ball bearings that go at the bottom of the damper rod!

Kind explains why it didn't feel like it had much damping!

Now to the question of the hour, does anyone know the size of these?????

If I know the size I came easily get replacements but Marzocchi is undergoing so business change and doesn't have tech support right now and none of the suppliers I have been able to get in contact with know the size or have any....

Thanks in advance!

Through some careful measuring and luck/trial and error I figured out the proposer size!

.185 inch works perfectly, I will be interested to see if I am correct....

The damping adjusts and works well, bleeding the sealed cartridge wasn't too bad but messy.....

Keep me posted if yo open up your forks and measure the marzocchi ball....

Thanks!