Montesa Cota 200 Restoration

chrismcc2012

Hi everyone

I got this , what i believe to be a cota 200, for free

I have many questions and would like to know where i could ource a manual.

This bike has not run in around 5 year, and the carb was taken off as it was seized and never returned, so it has been left open, the engine is not sezed, it seems complete, apart from the carb and airbox, it even has an ancient pair of renthals

I ordered a new set of points and a condensor, as it was only 20 quid

As you can see, you cant make out the frame number very well, an d if the paint was to come of, you would not see it atall, so where is the engine number?

I am going to buy a carb, but where can i get an airbox?

Here are some pics

post-19240-0-25645000-1385317405_thumb.jpg

post-19240-0-02392300-1385317693_thumb.jpg

post-19240-0-73981400-1385317866_thumb.jpg

post-19240-0-77490200-1385318180_thumb.jpg

post-19240-0-30680500-1385318410_thumb.jpg

post-19240-0-56205100-1385318568_thumb.jpg

engine number should be on top of centre crank cases poss under clutch arm end ( from memory ) boy shes got some crud on it lol ,, you can use a kikuni from a rev3 or techno beta and an airbox from ty175 modyfied or find one on ebay most parts can be found at inmotion i can forward copy of user manual ,, its an early cota 200 with later honda montesa front wheel with larger brake sorry it looks like a later one as i think i can see the frame engine guards in all that crud frame number looks like 29m02410

Edited by zerorev3rev4

I would get a used (or borrow) a carb, then make sure it runs. The kick start gear and trans were weak points. I would not spend any more money until you are certain what works. They are great handling bikes. Right now I wished I`d not sold mine!

engine number should be on top of centre crank cases poss under clutch arm end ( from memory ) boy shes got some crud on it lol ,, you can use a kikuni from a rev3 or techno beta and an airbox from ty175 modyfied or find one on ebay most parts can be found at inmotion i can forward copy of user manual ,, its an early cota 200 with later honda montesa front wheel with larger brake sorry it looks like a later one as i think i can see the frame engine guards in all that crud frame number looks like 29m02410

That is the frame number mate because it is the same as the one on the engine, and im not too worried about it not running as the guy i was given by said it went, then the carb seized and he left it off, so im ot too worried it wont go, more that something hass got in the top end... ill take the head off and inspect.

the front wheel spindle nut is missing aswell as he was going to replace the tube and never finished it

i dont think they are the original wheels, they look too big and the rear is tubless, front is tubed

That is a different rim. I would look closely at the hubs as they would break. I had mine for 17 years and replaced both hubs due to fractures.

I may replace the both wheels in time, on the back wheel some spokes are broke and one of the spokes is missing on the rear as the hub is broken, what size are the original wheels?

i will check the front, but they could do with being refurbished/repaired at least if possible

will need a new set of shocks and the forks serviced as there is not alot of movement in them

Edited by chrismcc2012

It looks like it was set up for a small rider with the fork tubes slid through the clamps like that. Unless they have limited the fork travel, the mudguard will smack into the lower triple clamp. That might be why they don't move far

Standard wheels on Cota 200 are 21 inch and 18 inch. That front hub is a Honda design that was introduced to Montesa trials bikes in the early 1980s, and may be from a later model Montesa 242 or 349.

Those front hubs are notorious for the spoke flanges breaking

Edited by feetupfun