Recommendations For Summer Gear?

sherconoob

only a week off it officially being summer here in queensland, australia, and it's a sweat-fest already. still very new to trials so keen to find a good balance between protective gear and staying cool.

currently have a vented trials helmet, standard mx pants, trials boots then a typical dirt riding jersey over elbow guards. i can't think of any improvements short of jumping in a nearby creek every 30 mins if it's available?

I generally practice ride after it cools off a bit in the evenings just before dark

I wear a thin T shirt and long cotton work pants in summer. If you think you might crash though you should wear your elbow and knee guards. I don't do huge obstacles or take chances in my summer trials clothing, its really just for fitness and to maintain riding skills.

Chilled water in the camelback helps if you are riding for an extended period

The creek cool-off technique works well too

Another thing to do is to go out straight after a storm while it is still coolish

Mix up the trials practice with a bit of trail riding to get your body temp back down

i assume the helmet is under the hood? looks like an interesting summer setup but i'd be worried about that furry hood getting hooked up on branches. :hyper:

thanks for the tips. i hadn't thought about mixing up trials with trail riding bu makes a lot of sense. i know a few good riding areas which would suit.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

i've been riding most weekends this summer and finally settled on t-shirt, knee guards and a longish pair of shorts that go over the knee guards but allow air to move around. it ain't stylish but way cooler than anything else i've tried... just need a lot of sunblock on the arms.

I work in the cycle trade, most downhill and MTB gear has a lot more ventilation and is more breathable than motorbike kit.

It also offers protection, if you go for the Downhill gear.

I have some AlpineStars downhill 'pants' that have so much ventilation, I can only wear it when it's warmer out!

• Like 1