Convert Evo 80 Big Wheel To Small Wheel

darrensn

Hi, as the topic says I am pondering converting my 13 year olds Evo 80 Senior to a small wheel for my 9 year old.

My 9 year old already has a beta rev 50 (4 speed) small wheel and the thought crossed my mind to use the wheels etc

to convert the evo ?????

I know the shaft sizes for the axle are different but does any one think it is possible to do using a sleeve over the axle ?

Not sure on brake disc , sprocket etc.

Looked around for a small wheel 80 and they are daft money as they are rare.

I know you can buy a small wheel kit for the 80 senior but its around £800.

Thanks

Hi

It is not as easy as you say. The big wheel 80 and small wheel are diffrent bikes. Although they look the same just diffrent sizes they are totally diffrent bikes. The big wheel has a larger frame and swinging arm.

Also on the small wheel the frame is alot smaller, and again swinging arm is alot smaller. Changing the bikes would make the bike unrideable. and it will create yourself a bit of agrow

Dad`s are always in a hurry to make the kids a better rider. My son went thru many new bikes. In the end it was more about myself wanting my son to excel. Just let him ride the 50 until he is ready to ride the full size 80. Keep the `fun` in riding is more important than the competition at that age.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

Hi, thanks for the replies.

reading the above, I think its a bad idea to convert the bike as milkybarkidtech has pointed out the senior and junior are different bikes.

I think I will take lineaways advice and let him ride the rev 50 until he's ready for the bw 80

I wasn't trying to get him on the 80 to make him a better rider it was just because its a newer bike

Cheers to all ......

Edited by darrensn

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to buy a big wheel and convert to a medium wheel because they're more plentiful . I compared the dimensions of the 2 are to be honest there isn't a great deal in it . (As a side issue , the 50 and the 80 are basically the same bike .) After you subtract the wheel size difference it's nothing to get excited about . Get your local wheel builder to respoke you a 19" and a 17" rim in to your existing hubs and fit a different rear sprocket and you'll be away . You've still got your original rims , spokes and tyres when he grows out of the medium wheels . I ended up finding a medium wheel near to me so didn't need to do the above .

Just my opinion .