Tlr Hot

keychange

A little while back I put new rings in my TLR200 and now she has better compression and more grunt. However my impression is that the engine is running hotter - i have no real way to measure it , it just feels hot.

The plug is browny grey and clean.

I also notice that the engine idles higher as it warms up and it is harder to start ie: takes more kicks. It stalls easily when cold and tends to kick back much more often than it ever used to.

Any suggestions welcome

It might not be that much,very little extra air is needed for a higher idle speed,the plug colour is a fairly blunt instrument for checking mixture strength - Co from the tailpipe is far more accurate.The harder starting is also a good indicator of air not pulling fuel out of the jets,but seeping in elsewhere.

A good quick check, is run the motor then spray WD40, carb cleaner, or anyting exept paint, at the carb joint, and see if the revs change, fluid willseal the joint temporarily. and if you use something like carb cleaner it may increase revs .... up or down is a bad thing..

• 2 weeks later...

Well last weekend I did the WD40 check with no obvious change - but I tightened the carbie just a bit more to be sure. Then I checked the valve settings - inlet was correct at .05 while exhaust was .08 ( only 1 thou ) but I adjusted that. Then I backed off the decompression release by quite a few turns.

So tried it out and initially still not as easy to start as it used to be (pre- ring job) and still kicking back. I then had to make quite a bit of adjustment on the idle mix to get it right and took it for a ride. The engine was smoother and no sense of overheating. There is a typical 4 stroke lag if you crack open the throttle but generally felt good - and no sign of engine revs increasing when warmed up. But still a lot harder to start - I mean I am used to this old crate starting first kick and now it is 3 ,4 or 5 kicks to get her going. Maybe time for new plug.

• 1 month later...

have you checked the timing with a timing strobe light? Kicking back when you try and kick start usually means the spark is happening too far before TDC. Just because it is a CDI does not mean that the spark timing will be correct - may have happened when the camchain was off to replace the rings

Is it harder to kick? My TLR is super easy to kick. Almost feels like no compression. Maybe adjust the compression release to lower the starting compression more?

I have heard of people using richer jets and advancing the cam timing by 6 degrees for more low end power. Have not tried it myself yet but plan to. Sometime...