Painting Plastic Fuel Tanks

neilfrancis

I know Rustoleum (spelling ?) Have a plastic aerosol spay for outside furnature but its only available in certain colours. You might also want to ask the guys at your local habby shop. Most rc cars/boats etc have plastic shells. When I raced cars, we used to use a aerosol made by Tamiya.....available in every colour under the sun. You get two types though, one to spray on the inside of clear shells and a normal external spray. Hop this helps a bit.

Which bike ? My TX240 tank is getting wider at the front, might be worth draining them each time.

Hi.

My bike is a TX311M. I was hoping there was something on the market to stop the petrol breathing through. Draining every time might have to be the best option.

Unfortunately there is no cure product that im aware of and i have looked .The plastic soaks up the petrol and will pickle your paint if you have a plastic tank that is that way inclined. I met with relevant chemical companies and identified 2 products they knew would work . I thought i had a cure , but after a few years ago it pickled. The inside of the tank is to shiny and nothing sticks , even after trying all the tricks to roughen it up internally.

The only solution is to drain completely after each ride (even this will lead to bubbles eventually)

or

fab an alloy tank and use the existing tank as a cover. This could be done very well and youd have no worries afterwards.

• Like 1

Don't do it.It is impossible to get the sealer completely coated the tank. The fumes will leach under the coating and bubble your paint. Take the time sand your plastics down start at 100 grit and finish about a 2000 grit. Then wax your tank . This will make a far better job.