Show Us Your Greeves

pro sport

Hi,

For the enthusiasts out there, the section official on the extreme left of the Don Smith image, is Ed Stott, who spent many hours with me discussing his thoughts for a book about the history of the SSDT. He had an extensive collection of 35mm slides of the event which he used to give illustrated talks about the history of the Scottish, mainly to various sections of the Vintage Club up and down the country.

Sadly he died before we ever got round to physically publishing the book, but he bequeathed his collection of slides and notes on his talks to me. Not wanting all that wealth of information to be lost I set to and wrote the book 'Lochaber Rich Mixture' in his name and published it in my series of 'Rich Mixture' books.

I am currently working on converting all the 'Rich Mixture' books and also the 'Scott Trial' book that I published into electronic format that can be downloaded and used on the various tablets, pads and computers.

Regards

Deryk Wylde

• Like 2

Hi,

Another little gem of historical information !

What did Gordon Jackson ride in the 1965 British Experts trial? Surely an AJS ?

No, the answer is seen below in another of my offroadarchive pictures - this most famous AJS works rider, who had been totally loyal to the Plumstead factory throughout his riding career - had to get another bike to continue riding in trials after he retired from the works team. You would have thought they would have given him an Ajay as a present when he left .......

Instead he acquired a Greeves Anglian for his Experts ride.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-29536400-1388316292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Another image to waken the memory banks, from the offroadarchive, shows Bill Wilkinson on his Greeves with Peter Gaunt walking up the section behind him and Don Smith (spectator on far left of image) carefully checking his choice of lines. Without checking further I reckon it's on the lower approach to 'Hollinsclough'.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-55985300-1388400575_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Lower Hollinsclough definitely, also Malcolm Rathmell on the left.

Also maybe Dave Langston extreme right.

Also maybe Dave Thorpe behind Bill Wilk.

The year ?? my money's on the Bemrose March 1969.

Re -- the Gordon Jackson photo, Gordon always had a good relationship

with the Greeves factory (and perhaps Bert Greeves in particular).

I think he 'borrowed' the Anglian for the experts

Edited by sparks2

Hi, Sparks,

Yes - sorry I missed 'Rastus'.

Must admit I was enjoying the view without crash helmets everywhere.

Incidentally, Remember I am lucky to have my personal friendships and memories of the three Gordons, Jackson, McLaughlan and Blakeway. So didn't have to rely on the so-called 'facts' published elsewhere.

Cheers

Deryk

Hi,

I'm working on keeping the historical pictures coming - plus trying to get the memory banks up and running isn't easy these days, so please never hesitate to offer critical corrections.

There is one Greeves that I would always use as my starting point down memory lane as to 'How the Greeves were in their day' and I have a picture below, from my archive.

It is the South Midland centre's Peter Hawes, who has owned, ridden and enjoyed - and continues to this day - his Greeves Anglian from new.

The modifications, apart from replacement of consumables that wear out, are NONE. If it aint broke don't mend it is Pete's creditable motto.

Recently Pete suffered a break in from his garage at home and his bikes were stolen. With great good luck he was offered a Greeves - and when he saw it recognised his own bike - so the correct ownership is restored.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-02335500-1388563231_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

He has done a great job. Full nut n bolt job from ground up.

20130308_111823.jpg[/url]

He wanted to build as close a replica of his 1962 works Greeves as he could.

He has a nice TFS that he uses in classic trials, so this one is a show queen

imageIMG_0072%20640x427%202.jpeg[/url]

Hi Stan,

I suppose there are very few can follow the 'good old ways' at the moment because both motocross and trials seem to be more like summer sports these days!

Nice picture of your 'Grubsa' and good to see you are still alive and kicking - I'll find some more pictures of you from the offroadarchive and share them with members

Cheers

Deryk

Hi,

Another image from offroadarchive for the Greeves afficianados.

This time it shows Malcolm Davis on his works bike in 'the late 1960s' to quote the excellent photographer, Gordon Francis. Knowing Gordon well, that means he was most likely at a trial when his wife Gill couldn't come, you see Gordon used to concentrate on his photographs whilst Gill made careful notes of who, what, where and when!

Nevertheless, you have to admire the photographic skill.

But back to the bike, an Anglian - but not quite in immaculate condition in all that mud.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-11859100-1388757909_thumb.jpg