Show Us Your Greeves

pro sport

Hi

Are you sure they are one and the same Hitchcock, I don't think so.

Some confusion here, Gordon Farley's sponsor was J.A. 'Jock' Hitchcock, a Triumph dealer from Folkstone Kent.

Surely not the same Hitchcock.

Can anyone confirm ??

The bike is an earlier TFS (1964) that has been 'modernised' with later TGS (banana) forks and exhaust.

Some would say the best combination that Greeves never made.

But I would say that.

Don Hitchcock is/was the son of Jock. Together they ran Jock Hitchcock Motorcycles in Folkestone during the '50s(?) and '60s. They were both big supporters of the ISDT where Jock was widely known for his generosity with the teapot. Yes, they supported Gordon Farley on a JAH Cub in his early days, and later they provided JAH Cubs for young Dave Weller and Robin Meades (I think). Dave was a brilliant rider whose life was unfortunately cut short by leukaemia just as he was beginning to gain national recognition as a rider. If I remember correctly, in one of his last rides, he was top scorer for the SE team in the British Experts trial riding a Greeves.

Hi bigplonker,

Yes, you are correct and I have some excellent images of Gordon Farley, et al, which I will use in TC as I sort through them - so please, 'bear with'!!

As an aside, I note your current location is France - might I ask, which part?

Regards

Deryk

Hi bigplonker,

Yes, you are correct and I have some excellent images of Gordon Farley, et al, which I will use in TC as I sort through them - so please, 'bear with'!!

As an aside, I note your current location is France - might I ask, which part?

Regards

Deryk

Bonjooah Deryk!

Looking forward to seeing your photos of a young Farley in action on his JAH Cub, together with some of Dave Weller if you have some. I'm a hermit recluse hiding in the mist-shrouded hills of central France - just outside Felletin in the Creuse region.

• 3 weeks later...

Don Hitchcock is/was the son of Jock. Together they ran Jock Hitchcock Motorcycles in Folkestone during the '50s(?) and '60s. They were both big supporters of the ISDT where Jock was widely known for his generosity with the teapot. Yes, they supported Gordon Farley on a JAH Cub in his early days, and later they provided JAH Cubs for young Dave Weller and Robin Meades (I think). Dave was a brilliant rider whose life was unfortunately cut short by leukaemia just as he was beginning to gain national recognition as a rider. If I remember correctly, in one of his last rides, he was top scorer for the SE team in the British Experts trial riding a Greeves.

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Why was J.A.Hitchcock's son not riding a cub in 1966, still well within the cub's era??

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Why was J.A.Hitchcock's son not riding a cub in 1966, still well within the cub's era??

At a guess Don chose to ride the Greeves instead of a Cub because it was a bit more powerful and refined. Being a big lad who rode enduros (he did a few ISDTs), I should imagine he found the Cub to be slightly underpowered. Could be wrong of course. Usually am.

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Attached is an image of a well-known Greeves works rider, executing what looks close to the ultimate works dab!

To find out who it is I'm afraid you will have to read ORRe-Issue5, which will be posted exclusively on 'tc' next week, where we tell the riders full story which includes four and a half decades of active competition and awards in the SSDT and Scott trials, all with supporting photographs.

post-19290-0-67078300-1408895991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

just joined the forum.

I own a 1960 24TCS.

It has been road registered here in Australia for many years

A month ago I competed in my first Trial in 20 years.

First on the Greeves.

How do I post a couple of pic. Ok worked it out.

Thanks

whitehillbillies

Great work!!!!!

--Biff

Hi,

Thought for the morning - Greeves bikes can be fun - but to really find out more about them you could always join ORRe our online digital magazine which has very detailed information about Bert Greeves and full analysis of the machines he produced.

Here's a sample - a Greeves Riders Association trial line up ready for the off - with somebody holding my bike whilst I point the Pentax.............

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-31949100-1424939728_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Hi jc2,

Love to ride at Conondale, but I ride with SQTA

So not being a Licenced MA rider, I don't think I can

Terry Tefler rides my old James at that event, and it would be good to catch up with Ron Chadwick and a few others that I rode with 20 years ago.

Maybe I will just come up with the bike and not ride.

See how things go as the plan over the last 2 years, was to come up for a visit.

shane