Show Us Your Greeves

pro sport

Hi,

Another Greeves Anglian, this time Don Smith on his works bike riding the section known as "Garrett's Gallop" in a mid 1960s Blackmore Vale trial. The section had to be ridden quickly and there were many bumps hidden in the grass - look how 'light' Don's rear wheel is. Image by Gordon Francis.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-12688500-1388758190_thumb.jpg

Hi,

This could be a definitive image from my archive of a Greeves Anglian. It shows the model, as delivered to my old friend Max King, for him to do a trials test for various magazines, photographed by Gordon Francis.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-32711200-1388934411_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

He's going to call me all the names under the sun - and rightly so - 'cos for the life of me I couldn't remember his name for about a week until just now, it's Peter Remington and he lived near Kendal and worked in the motor trade and was an ardent supporter of ORR and the British Bike championships - and was a very competent rider of well prepared bikes. Sorry, mate, I'm ready for the men in white coats..........

Anyway here Peter is on his very tidy Greeves, in the first North Lancs' club's trial incorporated in the British Bike championship.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-72111300-1389017239_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi,

Another offroadarchive image, this time Don Hitchcock (the dealer who helped Gordon Farley in his early career) with his Greeves in the 1966 SSDT making his attempt on Caillich.

But just look at those riders queuing below, waiting their turn to be let into the section - horrendous.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-59700500-1389110983_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi

Are you sure they are one and the same Hitchcock, I don't think so.

Some confusion here, Gordon Farley's sponsor was J.A. 'Jock' Hitchcock, a Triumph dealer from Folkstone Kent.

Surely not the same Hitchcock.

Can anyone confirm ??

The bike is an earlier TFS (1964) that has been 'modernised' with later TGS (banana) forks and exhaust.

Some would say the best combination that Greeves never made.

But I would say that.

Edited by sparks2

Hi, Another of them thar Greeves things!

From my offroadarchive it's Don Smith with his Anglian in the 1966 Wye Valley Traders Cups, photographed by Gordon Francis.

Most enthusiasts prefer the so-called 'banana\ forks simply because you could vary the spring rates, etc., in the front suspension to your own taste.

Enjoy,

post-19290-0-42433900-1389459241_thumb.jpg

Dad (Chris Cullen) informed me that he couldn't get on with the Anglians front forks, so Lawton & Wilsons fitted his with a pair of Cerianis and a different front wheel before any of the works Greeves riders did the same!!.

Hi,

Another glimpse into the history of our sport from offroadarchive finds Bill Wilkinson, just 19 years old at the time, in the 1960 British Experts. Bill is riding a rocky outcrop on a farm way above Rhayader in mid-Wales, the section being known as Dan-y-craig.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-18309300-1389702696_thumb.jpg