Concentration Issues.

cabby

OK now I will put in my actual opinion.

I am a little different than most riders. (big shock, I know)

When I concentrate really hard on the sections, or what is just in front of me, or try to "be in the now" I actually do worse. I start to get "super competative". and this has a detrimental affect on my riding.

What I need to do is have fun! When I am having a really fun time/acting goofy and just being generally silly I ride better. For example if there is a 12 inch log in a wide open spot in a section, I will rev the hell out of the bike and dump the clutch and launch over the log. When I land on the other side, stop and balance and say "Whoa! that was a BIG one, glad I made it over that!" It's just the sillyness that helps me stay loose and relieve the stress of performing.

Just what works for me.

• Like 1

Oh yes! that really helps me loosen up! :beer: :beer:

I actually did a little "research" on this very subject when I rode mx, back in my early 20s. I had just progressed to the "Expert", or "Pro" class, at the Local level. My first few races had me repeating mistakes I hadn't made since my Novice days, having arm pump, & etc.. On the advice of a friend, I once drank 1 bottle of beer before a moto, and rode that race really, really well, and pretty much mistake free. I was relaxed and loose, and that was what was missing in my riding. Once I learned how to do that without the alcohol, my results improved even more. It does work, but I'm not certain I can recommend it for everyone, hee hee....

Now, i'm not saying everyone should go down a quart of beer (or whatever) before a Trials comp. But the advice to "clear the mind", relax & have fun should really be listened to and acted on.

The ability to perform without concious effort was a huge help when I shot in practical pistol & speed steel competitions as well. So much of this mental thing is tranferable to all sorts of facets of our lives......

Jimmie

Being one of the old regulars at our events I often get tasked with taking the newbies with me and teaching/ explaining what is going on ... The first loop I usually take the first run at each section and show the folks what not to do ! But in reality I usually do quite well the first loop , and my score's get worse as I'm trying to help the others thereafter. When I was a kid I used to have a walkman and earbuds cranking in my favorite song at the moment and it would help get me into the ZONE ... Maybe I should buy a ipod thingy and just tune everyone else out ... But Like Doug , it's a social event for me and time riding with my boys , so I really don't care about my score , I'm just out to have some fun ! :) :)

Glenn

And PS. there are alot worse thing's I could be doing with my spare time and money !!!!

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

I'm not a drinker, but also not the best of sleepers.

On the walking of sections again, a couple years back I did a trial at a venue I'd never ridden before, I rode round on my own and read the sections each time for the first two laps (was only three laps) and is probably the best I've ever ridden.

I always got nerves the night before a trial, could not sleep! Once I started drinking a couple pints and lost all hope, things got better, more relaxed, and I had more fun riding.

Also in that process I decided to punch out of any sections I was not comfortable with. I am not killing myself or machine in the process! Maybe next loop!

I do like riding with a buddy sometimes, better if they are a better rider and can offer advise sometimes, but still good if riding with possibly lesser riders and you may offer help!

Walking sections is very important! Even more important is walking them backwards after and then figuring just how to go to get where you need to be!

That be your lesson for today! Have fun and ride!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am 56. I dont drink. I am colour blind.

I miss markers in sections often. Some of it can be blamed on just not seeing red in green.

There are five things I try to remember to make my riding consistent and in the groove.

I have to walk the section AT LEAST twice before knowing where the reds are and ensure that I have them all pointed out to me.

I have to make very sure of the markers in every section, and make mental notes of where they are, because I just don't see them.

Two I must drink lots of water, a litre per round, as I use it up but its also the fuel the brain uses for concentration.

Three, once I have picture in my head of where I have to go, LOOK AHEAD BEYOND, as you tire your concentration comes back to the immediate obstacle, but fully watered you can look ahead.

Four, and this I have to really work on, BREATHE. The number of times I see people and notice myself holding my breath is astonishing. I tell myself to breathe through my arms, weirdly it helps me not tighten up and cramp the forearms.

Five. Smile. I know it sounds stupid, but it works, to remind yourself that this is FUN and to raise your mood. It works, especially when we're a bit frightened at that horrible up and down....