Cleaning/washing A Oset?

mokwepa

We washed ours on a regular basis and never had an issue. The batteries and relay definitely aren't issues, nor should the key or potentiometer. If anything, the throttle or controller could be sensitive to it, but ours got wet many times w/o harm.

Pete

No major problems but be careful of getting water in elec motor!.

I use low pressure garden hose and hand brush.

Many motors seem to fail due to water ingress because there is no seal on the pinion shaft.

The motor is derived from an electric scooter so wouldn't have cause for a seal as they dont use them off road.

However I use a thru grommet behind the pinion gear which helps to divert water away.

Also spray wd 40 or other water repellant after cleaning to help and protect it from corrosion.

Dont spray water up under where all the electrics are either.

Youll find that the wiring on them is crap and may get poor connections so solder the wires instead of the poor quality connectors they come with.

I dont go wild cleaning with water anymore, just the wheels etc and minor clean everywhere then do the rest dry with a cloth and WD40

Have fun

Stew

Edited by jersey stew

Oset will supply an oil seal that you can fit to the motors outer flange , where the drive shaft protrudes . This stops the ingress of water and dirt getting to the outer bearing , which sounds noisy when it's on it's way out . Oset can also strip the motor and seal the motor flanges to the motor casing to keep water out . I had this work carried out by them , along with some new SKF bearings and the motor was spot on .

Oset will supply an oil seal that you can fit to the motors outer flange , where the drive shaft protrudes . This stops the ingress of water and dirt getting to the outer bearing , which sounds noisy when it's on it's way out . Oset can also strip the motor and seal the motor flanges to the motor casing to keep water out . I had this work carried out by them , along with some new SKF bearings and the motor was spot on .

Interesting didnt know that, its a shame they dont post anything to tell people of this mod before they end up having to spend money on a new motor.

Just a thought but how about they do this in Dynamo news?

Dave are you on here?