Exhaust Repair

toetoe

I noticed that there was exhaust fumes coming from Where the middle silencer joins to the exhaust pipe so I have had a look at the spare part manual and there is an O-ring, will a new O-ring do the job or is there something else I will need to do, it is only a small amount and seems to be when I first kick the bike up, with the choke on and once the bike is warm, it disappears.

Regards

Tony

if it's only at start up then i wouldn't bother if it was all the time change the o ring it's not hard but sometimes can be a pain. it might be that as the temp goes up everything swells and seals? not an expert but someone else may help out with advice

rob

Just the o-ring, quick job to do. May as well do the 1 where the midbox joins the muffler at the same time

good idea, to do the other one at the same time, chances are they are the same age and the other one will start to fail and it's all good experience for me, thanks for the replies.

regards

Tony

good idea, to do the other one at the same time, chances are they are the same age and the other one will start to fail and it's all good experience for me, thanks for the replies.

regards

Tony

Make sure you buy the high temperature silicone O-rings. Regular bun-n O-rings are likely to go up in flames at the high temps on 4 stroke exhausts. If the leak is small, you could simply take it apart, clean up the surfaces and use some hi-temp silicone sealer when you reassemble.

I second the silicone, the high temp rtv type, Halfords sell the loctite silicone this will work.

If the o rings are not damaged just clean the joint with carb cleaner or white spirit then apply a light smear to the male part of the pipe and assemble.

Leave the bike overnight before you start it to let the sealer set.

I have seen factory bikes with silicone sealed pipes so I feel I'm not a bodger after all!