Montesa 315 2002/2003 Carb Starting/running Problems

betarich

Hi everyone,

After nothing but problems with my beta I've decided to go for a montesa believing that with Honda engine it should be reliable.

I've just picked my montesa 315r up today,

The guy I bought it off has had the carb stripped and it is now flooding and won't start.

My question is can anyone give me the STOCK carb jetting and settings?

Also what spark plug should be in it STOCK?

Can I use ATF in the gearbox as I did with the beta?

And how can I remove the fuel tap from my tank when the nuts are spinning as the previous owner has covered it in bathroom sealent to stop it leaking but it still leaks.

Any advice will be great, thanks in advance rich

Edited by betarich

I run Valvoline synthetic Dextron IV ATF, IMO it works better than the Montesa recommended ELF HTX740 syn gear oil. The other improvement for the clutch is to use Honda CR250R clutch plates, the dimpled steel plates and the cork frictions.

I have an '04 but I think the carbs are the same 01-04.

Stock Delorto:

Pilot: #35, could go to #38 for a more sensitive mixture screw.

Mixture screw: now 2 1/2 turns, well beyond its sensitive range.

Needle jet: D34 or D37

Neddle: K270

Needle clip: stock 3rd groove

Throttle valve: #4.5 or #5.0

Main: #110

Starter: #60

Spark plug: NGK BR6ES 14mm, ¾” reach

I haven't had a tank leak yet but the best fix is a sealant on the inside of the tank.

That's great thanks for that, I'll get it back together today and let you know how I get on.

Do montesa' shave a sight glass or any way to check gear oil level? I can't seam to find any way to check oil level.

Am I right in mixing the 2 stroke 70ml to 5 litres?

That's great thanks for that, I'll get it back together today and let you know how I get on.

Do montesa' shave a sight glass or any way to check gear oil level? I can't seam to find any way to check oil level.

Am I right in mixing the 2 stroke 70ml to 5 litres?

Oil level check is by draining then measuring your fill up, a sight glass is a vulnerability on a trials bike and your mix is on the money. :icon_salut:

Bit weak on the pilot,#38 would allow the mixture screw to be further in and more sensitive,but its still rideable as is.Bathroom sealant would never stop a petrol leak,could try tank sealer as suggested but I don't think its a long term fix,maybe source another tank