Earthx Batteries

koen

I got in contact with EarthX and they let me know that for the 36v there are 2 kits for sale, 12 amp hour kit for $390

and the 18 amp hour kit for $500 plus shipping to Belguim for each kit $135. The chargers are no longer included as they have designed there BMS to

work with the Oset charger. So this is indeed expensive and i think i'm gona stick to the SLA bat.

They also told me that they work directly with OSET in the UK and they might soon have them for purchase directly from them maybe that might

bring down the shipping cost we'll see.

Edited by koen

• 1 year later...

I bought the EarthX for our stock, first-generation OSET 20.0.  We were at the Mike Fenner Memorial Trial in Sacramento, CA yesterday, and the bike seemed to run for one-and-a-half loops before its battery appeared to run out.  We ran half of a loop and started in section five, so technically the EarthX batteries lasted 15 sections out of 30, but ran 2 loops out of 3.

The con is they are expensive.  The pro is that they are light, maintenance free, and work with the stock charger.

This was posted in another forum by a fellow clubmember I highly respect on the matter of electric trials bikes:

"I had been working on a new 48V battery pack for the Kawasaki, but it still wasn't quite ready for running on a bike, so I also opted to purchase the Earth-X batteries advertised for the Oset 48V bikes. However, be aware that the 18Ah set that I bought is now being advertised as 6Ah. When I emailed Earth-X about this, their VP of sales said that they ALWAYS notify customers that the 18Ah claim is for equivalent existing lead-acid batteries for comparison purposes, and that in the case where you are using the batteries to propel the bike, the rating is 6Ah. THAT is total BS. I was never informed of this information, and would NOT have purchased these batteries had I been informed. I find this kind of advertising reprehensible and am really upset with Earth-X. The VP has essentially blown me off. What you get with the Earth-X is a much lighter weight pack (VERY considerable), and a much flatter voltage drop as the battery level drops with use. However, for me, the more than $600 was a waste. Your mileage may vary. I could have focused on getting my own pack completed. Live and learn I guess, but I will never deal with any Earth-X product again."

I do not disagree with what was stated and it holds true for most people.  In my particular case, since I have young kids, the self contained safety feature of the EarthX makes them worth it to me. Before this I used to use the HobbyKing lithiums until one day my son left the bike on and the batteries drained completely and became worthless.  Can someone recreate the EarthX for less cost?  Yes, its very likely.  Do I have the time and patience to do it? I would rather just ride.  :-)

I would recommend to get a lot more information on the boost battery's before committing to buying/using them.. maybe invite the guy that assembles them to post the specs in one of the battery threads on this forum ... They may be very good batteries ( what chemistry are they ? lipo or lifepo4 and what are the C ratings) , but it would worry me not knowing the spec/reliability of the bms or the battery's used..

I would want to know at what current  the bms uses to balance the cells and also what is the cell charge cutoff voltage and resume voltage, cell lvc,  what is the peak current of the bms and has it got over a over current trip and is it auto resettable.

Try boost bikes that are available through eBay. Really good batteries. Just search on Oset lithium

do you have inside knowledge that they are "good" batteries?.