How About Some Royal Enfield Crusaders ?

laird387

Hi,

Strangely the Crusader popularity always seemed very regional, some areas in the UK was full of them at times, or so it seemed.

One popular supporter was Dave Freemantle, seen here in springtime 1962 with what looks like a shiny new Crusader. Photographed by Cecil Bailey for offroadarchive.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-60201600-1388511638_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Let me tell you a story! Back in 1964 or maybe 1965, I bought a 250 Royal Enfield Crusader trials from a dealer called Bob Wilkerson in my home town of Slough. I rode it (very badly) through '65 and into '66 and probably early '67 before exchanging it for a 250 Cotton at Edwards Motorcycles of Hemyock, Devon (for by then I had moved from Slough to Devon).

Once it was sold I had no interest in it until sometime in the early to mid 'eighties, when I was working at TMX, I received a phone call from somebody whose name I can't remember, saying that he had bought NBH 611 D, my old Crusader, and that he was planning to do it up. Rather foolishly, I sent to him an envelope which contained all the photos I had of the bike, together with the purchase documentation, expecting to receive it all back once he had perused it and made copies.

Either my original envelope to him never arrived, or more likely he kept it all as original authentication for the machine, which probably gave it more value. The pages are still missing from my scrapbook and I rue the day that I posted off that envelope. I have no idea if NBH 611 D exists now, and if it does, who owns it. I have no desire whatsoever to own it again, but I would like to have the documents and pictures back, even if they are only copies. Does anybody out there know of the bike or indeed if it still exists? Contact me through the usual channels if you can help.

Mike Rapley

Hi,

Another image from the collection, this time photographed by Alan Vines, showing Johnny Brittain riding in the national trial that commemorated his Dad, the Vic Brittain trial. The section is another old favourite, Crumpsbrook which was just one of many on the route which was around the Clee hills to the east of Ludlow.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-66595700-1389003774_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

As some one so rightly said, Barrie Rodgers now has RE 250, the ex-works Crusader - and, since Barrie is a mate and rode in many of the trials I organised, we have a few incriminating pictures of him, and here's one, riding in the first North Lancs club's round of the British Bike championship.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-25666600-1389021042_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...