Montesa 315R Clutch Problem

betarich

Hi everyone, I've now got my Monty all built up and the engine is sweet, the only issue now is the clutch seams to drag and the bite is a little snatchy and unpredictable, I've adjusted the lever, it's running on ATF,

What I did notice when I rebuilt the engine one of the steel plates had some discolouration as if it had been hot?

Has anyone got any known fixes for these clutches?

Do monty clutches feel as nice as my beta clutch?

Thanks in advance

Edited by betarich

first thing don't use ATF been there done that one, mine used to drag so I ended up fitting new CR 250 plates in it and now use putoline light gear oil problem solved its lovely and smooth with no grab, as for the steel plates being discoloured yes they have got hot but as long as they are not warped shouldn't cause a problem

Thanks for the advice guys, so is it just the steel plates I need to change or the full clutch?

Also I've heard of people running ATF in monty's with no problems, I'm not not really clued up on gear oils, will any good quality light gear oil do? The only reason I'm asking is I have an account with castrol and get it at cost.

the putoline oil that im using is sae 75w so if Castrol do something like that it will be ok, as for the clutch I got away with only changing the friction plates the steel plates were like new in mine, but remember to coat new friction plates in oil before you fit them

Edited by mont315

You only need to replace the steel clutch plates with the aftermarket dimpled metal plates to eliminate the 315 clutch drag. Obviously if the friction plates are worn out, replace them as well but they have no effect on the infamous 315 clutch drag.

Besides the dimple disc, that Montesa finally switched to, oil has a big effect on clutch operation. Montesa specs a very thin Elf HTX740 synthetic gear oil, but it is expensive, and for me difficult to locate. My research.

Thick oil slow hookup and increases drag

Thin oil faster hookup and less drag.

Regular ATF or Ford type vs Dextron type; Dextron has smoother lock up, regular ATF quicker lock up.

Thick and thin above refers to the oil's viscosity at 40C.

Gear Oils................................ @40oC........... @100oC

GRO Gear Extreme 75W*......... 20.............. 5.2

Elf HTX740.syn........................ 21.4............. 7

Valvoline Dextron VI ATF syn.. 29.5........... 6.0

Motul ATF VI*..........................30,5...........6.10

Mobile 1 Dextron VI…………. 29.5…..…. 5.3

Royal Purple Max ATF........... 35.0............. 7.5

Valvoline +4........................... 34.13.......... 7.55

Allison Transynd syn ATF ..... 53.9............ 9.75

Elf HTX735.............................114............17.8

Amsoil 75W-90 syn**……….. 130……. 15.6

Amsoil 80W-140 syn**…….... 256……. 26.4

Silkolene Medium 85W-90... 150-340..... 15

Silkolene Light 75W-80......... 100-180..... 15

Silkolene Comp 80W-90........ 100-145.... 15

Silkolene Pro SRG 75............ 100-180..... 11

* info from Trials Central posts.

** Hypoid gear oil - do not use in a wet clutch

I have CR250 plates and discs (dimpled) in my 315R and switched to Valvoline Dextron VI ATF syn and have the best clutch action of any bike I have owned, and much smoother clutch action than with the Elf oil.

Edited by chuck4788

My 04 has dimpled plates. My 315R Parts List says 97+ use 22351-MG3-000 plates, but the first part of the number is wrong for Honda clutch plates, it should be 22321-MG3-000 which is also used on 83-07 XR500/600/650, & 89-90 GB500.

Others have used CR250R plates, which are also dimpled, and discs for smooth clutch action.

Four of the frictions in my 04 have Honda Product Code "FA4" marked on them which is 83-90 CR250/500.

Since I bought the bike used I don't know if the discs/plates are OEM but my clutch is very smooth and no drag.

The engine in the 315R seem to be a typical Honda design based on corporate design criteria and reusing previously designed parts. IMO the clutch is a mid size off road Honda clutch that is also used in other Montesa and Honda models.

Apico sells clutch disc and plate kits for the 315R/4RT (same size plates & discs).