Design A New Trials Bike

telecat

Looks like that's what Dougie is doing so firstly what would be the best features? What I see as necessary are a Stiff frame Fairly Compact with a 4 to 5 litre tank. The current JTG rear suspension seems superior to everybody else's and Forks will remain forks. Wheels need to have "give" in them so the current metal spoked seem to be preferable. Could Magura style reservoir less Disc brakes be used? they could be a weight and maintenance saver if the required power can be obtained?

Electronics and Air filters need to be tidily packaged, easily accessed and kept away from Water. Too many bikes have cables everywhere as well so it needs thought as to where to place the management items.

Engine? Small, torquey with good throttle response. Fuel Injection with intelligent mapping? Liquid cooled obviously. Clutch wise something that can be tuned to the rider. on/off switch or gradual bite seem to be the two major preferences. Easy access to major items with Supplied tools would also be a winner for most riders.

Any thing else come to mind? Given that a small button battery can support the electrics on these bike maybe one could be added to maintain electrical input to the ignition/ injection system.

A single sided swinging arm would look cool.

There are downsides .I can imagine the disc being so close to the sprocket would make working on it fiddly. It wouldn't be as safe as having a swing arm on both sides keeping you away from the wheel id guess. Engineering costs might be higher.

Id sacrifice all of this for cool :)

A petrol tank under the seat would help keep the cog low.

Man do I ever find it hard to believe that someone would finance such an endeavor

Too many major brands in such a small market

At best they will make something that is as good as what you can buy today at the same price

It's not good enough to make and excellent bike, thats already been done

I think there is room for something other than high end competitors to Beta, gas gas etc

Perhaps reasonable quality but inexpensive entry level machines or a great development of electric models perhaps, or even cheap modern retro twin shock bike

• Like 3

The tank under the seat or like the new Sherco, it looks great how it balances with the silencer on the other side, also have different people trying to kick start the bikes in the factory, like small women and under 16 year olds, so they can get it right, people shouldn't have to swap their bike for smaller ones because they can't kick start Their bike.

Just done this as a concept - Its an interchangeable hub with an internal spline and the sprocket and the brake disc can just slot in so you can quickly turn the wheel around without major disassembling - I haven't drawn the shaft but this would contain a thrust washer bearing to hold it all in place on assembly into the rear. Its not to scale and I just threw this together as a concept so feel free to rip it to bits :)

post-1163-0-05581400-1388711036_thumb.jpgpost-1163-0-41646900-1388711037_thumb.jpg

This probably needs moving into a different thread to be honest ....

Edited by atomant
  • Like 5

Just done this as a concept - Its an interchangeable hub with an internal spline and the sprocket and the brake disc can just slot in so you can quickly turn the wheel around without major disassembling - I haven't drawn the shaft but this would contain a thrust washer bearing to hold it all in place on assembly into the rear. Its not to scale and I just threw this together as a concept so feel free to rip it to bits :)

I can't see sfa :0)

What about a system like on moto gp bikes, where the disc and sprocket stay on the swing arm when you remove the wheel, so you can just flip it around, I guess that would be expensive to produce.

Edited by jj65

Atomant what software did you model it on? The splines are a first class idea, the only thing I can see about it is the machining of it would need done on a gear shaper rather than one hit on a cnc- however changing their geometry slightly would over come this.

I had been thinking in my head of some sort of quick release type pins for the disc and sprocket but your design far out weighs this idea.

Edited by eddie_lejeune
  • Like 1

Hi Eddie, firstly thanks for your kind comments :) I modeled this on AutoDesk Inventor 2013 - I've been using this for about 10 Years now and for what I design (everything from industrial machinery to medical devices) its pretty good and either this or SolidWorks would be my industry standard.

The splines I haven't modeled correctly as I did this quickly to show the concept. The last time I used splines like this was in 1986 in a Robotic system and they were very effective and as you know, great for transmitting power :)

Again, this is just a concept and designing this for manufacture would be the next step if I were to do anything with it :)

You mentioned pins, That would be another way of doing it and that would be cheaper . I could think of some ways to do that too :)

Cheers :D

Edited by atomant

Hi Eddie, firstly thanks for your kind comments :) I modeled this on AutoDesk Inventor 2013 - I've been using this for about 10 Years now and for what I design (everything from industrial machinery to medical devices) its pretty good and either this or SolidWorks would be my industry standard.

The splines I haven't modeled correctly as I did this quickly to show the concept. The last time I used splines like this was in 1986 in a Robotic system and they were very effective and as you know, great for transmitting power :)

Again, this is just a concept and designing this for manufacture would be the next step if I were to do anything with it :)

You mentioned pins, That would be another way of doing it and that would be cheaper . I could think of some ways to do that too :)

Cheers :D

Lets collaborate together on this and bring a new product to the market. pm me if interested. :xmas: