Gas Gas Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

magh

Having some issues trying to remove the old wheel bearing out of the rear when on a 2002 gasgas 200cc they have a spacer tube between the bearings so I can't in behind the bearings to drive them out.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

You need a tool that's called a blind bearing puller.

Sometimes that will work but only if the lip on the bearing-puller collar can catch the edge of the bearing. It's a very tight fit. I use a long, thin drift and dress the end flat so that it has a sharp edge. Lightly tap the inside bearing outer race, rotate the drift a third rotation, repeat. Works a treat.

Jon

I've tried the expanding rawl bolt but I can't see how it works as the id of the spacer is smaller than the bearing so it grabs that first.

And nelly1 do you mean place the wide end of a 3/8 socket onto the end of the spacer to drive the pop side bearing out?

Okay, this sounds a bit random, but has ALWAYS worked for me, with no damage to the crush tube (spacer), hub or bearings. You need a 1 pence coin, and maybe an 8mm bolt or similar. If you place the wheel flat on the ground but slightly raised off the ground on blocks or similar, then place the penny directly over the bearing facing you, ( the penny should only just be bigger than the bearing hole size for this to work) then using your 8mm bolt or similar diameter bar etc. hit the penny in the centre using a decent hammer. This should bend the penny in the middle making it fit through the bearing (as the diameter is slightly reduced due to the concaving created by the initial blow) If you continue to hammer the penny down, it will make contact with the crush tube (as this has a slightly smaller diameter than the bearing) and should then begin to push the bottom bearing out from the inside. This has always worked for me, and never damages anything due to the soft properties of the penny coin. On the plus side, it only costs 1p. And if you're really tight you can hang onto the same penny and reuse, as it is already the perfect size!!!

• Like 2

You can buy a spacer kit from gasgas uk at a small cost and the tube comes with it . So Knock the spacer tube down , once required space is there get the bearing out easy . Ok your spending a little cash,but saves on time messing around .If your going to the effort of doing the bearings ,do the lot .

• 1 month later...

This one got me also. I talked to people and they all said this is how you do it. None of it worked. I finally took a piece of 1/2 inch PVC it was threaded at one end. I tapered it of so it would stick inside and tapped it through very easy. that tool remains with a couple other in my tool box.

I was able to force the tube sideways just enough to drive a sharpened screwdriver tip between the end of the tube and the bearing while rotating the bearing. It may just pop out after the initial couple of smacks.

Once you do manage get them out, don't forget to cut a couple of opposed clearance slots in each end of the tube so you can use a screwdriver next time

• Like 1