Re Packing Middle Section On 250 2005 Txt Pro

redfly16

Is it possible to repack the centre part of the exhaust as when I brought it I was told it was unpacked for a extra bit of power. I don't like the raspy noise so want to make it stock again. Is this possible or is it broke and the seller bent the truth

Thanks

If you don't see a cut and welded flap on the backside of the mid-muffler, the previous owner may be making it up. The rewards of a quiet exhaust compared to any slight increase of power (and loss of power at lower RPMs, where you will spend most of your time) is much greater. Your fellow riders will throw fewer rocks at you.....:)

Jon

The middle muffler is packed with a coarse steel wool, kind of like what you scour pots with. You can't pull it out or replace it without destroying the whole thing. You can throw the whole thing in a fire pit and burn all the oil out, and with fresh packing in the silencer your bike will have a new bike sound for a while.

You can refurb middle silencers. Cut holes on blind side. remove as much wire wool packing or burn out what you can. Stainless wire wool is sold on ebay. Pop rivet panels over holes. Re pack firmly..... It will be much better, but never quite like new. I switched from the wire wool to silentsport type material as this also helped soften the engine, but needed frequent repacking. It's a long messy job, but worthwhile if you're on a budget. I'd post a link about this, but I fear The TC god might be peeved.