Sheffield Iwtc

jj65

Great to hear that Albert pushed Toni all the way, shame he didn't win, it's surely about time he got to win again, he really is a superb rider. To anyone lucky enough to go, How did the sump rule go, any protest about it.

Edited by jj65

I've been away from trials for a long while due to work committments (I'm a re-register on TC, I couldn't remember the password to my original account, nor the email address I used all those years ago but I used to be a regular). What the hell happened to the sport? First of all, the outdoor WTC goes non-stop which is OK I guess but makes it dull as dishwater to spectate, let alone as a TV sport, then I hop on earlier this evening to take a peek at the Sheffield results and... how the hell is anyone supposed to work out how their favorite rider performed from that?? Yes, if you scroll right down the bottom you can see the final standings but what the hell is all this head-to-head stuff about? Do we now need a cheat sheet just to understand what the hell is going on? No wonder a lot of riders are jumping ship to enduro - at least you stand half a chance of knowing who's in what position!

I'll always be a trials person at heart but for a sport that seems to be constantly fretting about money and public appeal it seems to be doing a jolly good job of kicking itself in the knackers these days.

• Like 5

Welcome back, you can join the growing band of grumpy old farts on here.

I think one of the big problems with X-Trial is that the FIM are not sure who they are trying to attract. If they want to appeal to a knowledgable trials audience most of us are happy with every rider riding every section & the lowest score wins. At the end of the season, the rider with the best cumulative results is crowned world champion. If they want a high energy show to attract a TV audience who've been impressed by Danny Macaskill et al, then allow the riders free reign to put on a show. This could be great entertainment, but granting world championship status dampens the riders potential exuberance.

I think one of the big problems with X-Trial is that the FIM are not sure who they are trying to attract. If they want to appeal to a knowledgable trials audience most of us are happy with every rider riding every section & the lowest score wins. At the end of the season, the rider with the best cumulative results is crowned world champion. If they want a high energy show to attract a TV audience who've been impressed by Danny Macaskill et al, then allow the riders free reign to put on a show. This could be great entertainment, but granting world championship status dampens the riders potential exuberance.

Gotta agree.

Ian.

Just got home after the Sheffield Trial last night. Great entertainment and some fantastic rides to challenge Toni Bou. That's Bou as in Boo not Bow as in Cow...commentators please note. Anyone I spoke to who came from South of Derby had great difficulty understanding any of the commentary and I was amazed to read in the program ( free...I was surprised too ) the two muppets had been doing the commentary for the last 12 years.

Apart from that moan a great night and hope Jack has a speedy recovery ;)