Bike Rack - Swan Neck Towbar - Solution Maybe?

petecam

Hi

I have a Witter detachable swan neck towbar on my car. I wanted to fit a bike rack but they all only seem to fit on fixed towbars.

However I found this adaptor on EBAY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bak-rak-Swan-Neck-Towbar-to-Flange-Adaptor-/181192074209?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2a2fe3a3e1

Anyone used one or would think this would be OK?

Thanks

Pete

You can get a bolt on type swan neck Tow Bar. I've got one on mine made by Witter although there are other alternative brands out there I'm sure!! I don't know how sturdy that one on ebay might be as it might want to rock n' roll about on the Tow ball.

It looks a neat solution but I wouldn't be using it for anything more than a push bike. With a trials bike and rack you are on the edge weight limit wise and I've found if the flanged mount bolts if aren't stupidily tight then the bar that stays on the car can twist. With that design you have a huge moment force held over a small area...

Jamo: They dont make the "Flange Detachable" type for my car which is a shame as that is a perfect solution. I might have to just buy the no detach flange towbar and fit!

Joen: Yes it's a lot of pressure on one ball point, I was wondering if it would twist as well!

Edited by petecam

They don't make a detachable flange towbar (which is a newish product) for my car as its a Saab and Saab is no more.

So my options were retro fit a flange fixed towbar or try the adaptor in my orignial post. I dont really want to get rid of the detachable bar as the wife moans about getting her dress dirty on the towbar :-)

So I emailed the suppler of the adaptor and it's rated up to 100kg, so I have ordered one and will give it a try.

I will update the post and let you know how I get on!

cheers

Pete

Edited by petecam

I have a Witter towbar fitted to mine, they have one main beam that fits the car (check their website) and with choices of;

1) fixed swan neck,

2) fixed flanged type.

3) detachable swan neck,

4) detachable flanged type.

They can be swapped to suit your needs.

I use one of the adaptors with a fixed swan neck and haven't had any problems carrying a Beta Evo 300 4T. The rack doesn't rock at all, but can rotate about the ball slightly (but can't go very far). This easily fixed with a rope or tie-down at each end of the bike up to the roof bars.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just found this post when looking for a similar solution. There's no flange type available for my car so at present the adapter is looking the only way forward. Just wondered if anyone else had had any further experience with these / good or bad...