Bike Wont Start And Petrol Coming Out Exhaust

renegade master

Hi Guys, I am having problems starting my gas gas, it wont fire up and petrol is comming out the exhaust at the head?

any Ideas?

There is spark and I cleaned the air filter and dryied it too

This bike is a 2003 txt pro I think, seems they were the frist year that the pro line started and gave a lot of trouble? not sure if that fact is right tho but this bike has given me its fair share of problems

You have flooded the cylinder. Probably left the gas on and transported the bike. If it has that much fuel in it you need to dry it out. Take off the tank, remove the front pipe and the spark plug. Try turning it upside down for just a short time to get the fuel out. Be extremely careful as you can start a fire. If you must kick it to move the fluid out, remember to hold the kill button down.

It's either that or you poured your gas into the silencer outlet, read the owners manual :)

On the good side your exhaust is getting a good cleaning

It's a Leaky needle, you shouldn't travel with the fuel turned on but it should not leak anyway

If the needle in the carb sticks open or leaks, and you leave the fuel turned on during transport or storage, the fuel will leak into the crankcase and cylinder. If you get enough fuel in, the engine will hydro-lock. When this happens, it is very difficult to kick the bike over because fuel does not compress like air. Do not try to kick it because you can damage pistons, con rods, etc.

Remove the spark plug and turn the bike over to drain out the cylinder. Leave the plug out and tie a rag across the plug hole. Then, holding the kill switch down and the throttle wide open, kick it over. Expect to have fuel shoot out of the plug hole which is why I say tie the rag on. The fuel will come out at high speed and pressure - enough to drench you with fuel. So please, NO SMOKING or ignition sources nearby. Do this outdoors.

It will probably take 20 to 30 kicks to get the excess fuel out. Once you stop seeing any vapor coming out of the plug hole, then reinstall the plug, wipe off any fuel that is on the surfaces, connect the plug and try to start it with wide open throttle. It will eventually start and likely smoke a lot until the excess fuel burns off. Then you will be back to normal operation.

Ride on!

ok guys thanks for all your great info, today we took off the carb again as we thought or rather came up with the conclusion that the problem is in the carb.... once we took it out... in side the reed block was full of petrol ! I turned the bike vertical so the petrol could drain out and quite alot came out, then we striped down the carb and cleanned it... put everything back in place.... and hay guess what? bike fired up whoooo.... wana know what happened next? (you dont :barf: ) ... brown milky oil/pertol came leaking out of the plastic casing on the fly wheel side? so off with the fly wheel to see where it was comming out of, it was leaking out from the seal at the shaft where the flywheel bolts on to! so we then droped the gearbox oil and it was full of petrol/gearbox oil and was well over the 450ml mark when I took it out... does this mean that I have done in a seal? or because the gearbox/crank case was over full it leaked out of the seal at the flywheel shaft?

any ideas?

Thanks

Regards,

Colin.post-19212-0-14914100-1389314299_thumb.jpg

Clearly the crankcase seal on that side has gone bad. Good news is that is relatively easy to fix.

Bad news if the petrol in the gear box oil. The only way I know for that to happen is for the seal on the clutch side to be bad also and when the fuel filled the crankcase, it leaked into the clutch area. Others smarter than me can give more detailed info if there are other ways for petrol to get in the gearbox. Normally with a bad seal on the clutch side you would be sucking gear oil into the engine making extra smoke and causing the gear box oil to get low.

I think you can change the clutch side seal by removing the side cover and the clutch but I am not sure, having not done it myself. Hopefully you do not have to split the cases. And hopefully the petrol has not affected your clutch material.

For sure, if you do not change the clutch side seal, you will want to do a very good drain and refill of the gearbox now and again after a very few hours of running.

Probably not a bad idea to replace the petcock seals just to be safe. And remember to shut the fuel off whenever not riding the bike. A lesson we all have learned over the years.