Classic Sidecars

laird387

Hi, totalshell et al,

You asked for sidecar images from the SSDT - how about this one of Arthur and Lyn Pulman, with their famous Matchless outfit competing in the 1960 Scottish, where they took the Seton Trophy as runners-up in the sidecar class.

The outfit was often described as a 'works' Matchless, but that was not so. Arthur was a very competent engineer who worked for most of his life for Westland Helicopters in Yeovil, and sidecar trials was very much a relaxation hobby for both of them. Arthur built his own sidecars to a design that owed much to the aircraft style of engineering that was meat and gravy for him. His final BSA outfit was a real beauty, in the engineering sense and I was proud to have been allowed to try it for myself on one meeting.

They couldn't have children so they firstly fostered and then latterly adopted a family, particularly when Lyn finally had to give up the chair due to a back injury. Arthur soon gave up, it was no longer the same without Lyn - and they devoted their time to the family.

Sadly, when Arthur passed away, Lyn was very much aware that there were likely to be many old motorcycling friends want to attend his funeral and realised the family would not be aware of who they were - or why - so I was particularly pleased when she called me and asked if I could deliver a eulogy for Arthur at the crematorium, since I was one of the few people who knew both sides of his life story.

There's more to classic motorcycling than just spending a fortune on so-called classic bikes.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-04355500-1390834332_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi, totalshell,

Another shot from my archive that brings memories flooding back!

This is 'Pop' Sandiford, Jim's Dad, with Ken Nicholas in the chair. Pop's outfit was based round an Ariel HS scrambler - and was regularly to be heard on 'full noise' on hilly sections round the Pennine moors above Bury.

At one of our weekly club nights I asked Jim if he had ever passengered for his Dad in the outfit - Jim's answer was immediate: "No way," he said, " if you didn't keep tight hold and fell out, the old bugger would ride right over you to get the extra grip........"

We had many laughs with Pop.

Here he waits, already in gear and clutch open whilst section officials 'chock' the outfit, waiting for the Glen Ogle section to clear so that he could wind up the throttle and throw the clutch away.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-47478300-1390835644_thumb.jpg

Hi, totalshell,

You did ask for images from the archive - well, I've dusted it off and here is an image from the 1913 event, taken on the Tornapress approach to Bealach-na-baa, the road to Applecross village from Lochcarron.

It shows a Chater-Lea sidecar outfit, sadly with an unknown pair in command.

It is possible today, a century later, to stand where the photographer put up his tripod to mount his wooden camera, with glass negatives and, believe it or not, the stones in the wall are still clearly visible and unaltered. The road surface has been coated with tarmac since about the mid 1960s, it was still gravel all the way when I rode from my home in Yorkshire in 1954 on my rigid AJS trialler just to ride over the highest road in Britain.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-51546600-1390838494_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Totalshell - you did actually ask for a three-wheeler car - but sadly, I can't find a suitable image yet, but when I was in the Market Drayton in the early 1960s, the local club was "The Market Drayton and District MC & LCC" and the initials stood for 'Motor Cycle and Light Car Club'.

So what, might you ask, is a Light Car.

Well here is an image from my history of the SSDT which shows Mr Wood and anonymous passenger, climbing 'Tornapress' in the 1923 event. So judge for yourself.

When they got over the hill and into Applecross village there were refreshments in the Temperance Hotel - since renamed the 'Applecross Inn' and, NO it is no longer a temperance establishment, 'cos Arthur Lampkin has been known to pop in for a short break and a few jars with friends. The food there is excellent too.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-97388000-1390839107_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

As an ex-charioteer I have to admit, sidecars can be fun.

This is a scene from the 1948 British Experts trial, where an unknown pair blast through a muddy bit - to the obvious discomfort of the assembled spectators, some probably in their Sunday-best at a time when clothes were still rationed with 'coupons' in your Ration Book.

Waiting on the left is an interesting trials outfit - an H-R-D Vincent Comet and Watsonian chair - who most likely got stuck in the gloop then dragged back to take another go with high hopes! Might even be Howard Davies himself - he did have a go on the rough.

Happy days.

post-19290-0-11260900-1391440165_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Now we have the man himself! Allan Jefferies, with young son Tony in the wicker chair of the 1917 Triumph sidecar outfit, navigates Dob Park Splash during the 1961 Ilkley Reunion trial.

Image kindly loaned by the Langton collection.

post-19290-0-91073900-1392471676_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

An image from the 1978 'Allan Jefferies' trial, D A Gant with D Raynor in the chair of their BKR Yamaha outfit, photographed by Barry Robinson.

Proving that there is life outside trials - and often not very pleasant - Barry told me that the observer, George Cordingley, who was well known to me in years gone by when we were founder members of the Yorks. Classic club has sonce been murdered and his son imprisoned for life.

Not nice - I'll stick with the bikes........

post-19290-0-29193800-1392629762_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Jim Kendall and passenger Malcolm Sparrow look a touch apprehensive about the Kenman outfit’s ability to extract itself from a deep watery gully, during the Enfield (No.2 Works) Club’s Gerald Gregory trial, an open to Wessex Centre event in November 1962.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-35507900-1394722930_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The section started on the right and 'climbed' the small rocky step to exit on the left.

Looks simple enough - but the Fairbrothers showed why I had included it in the Frank Jones round of the Sammy Miller series... just look how wet Tim Fairbrother's back is ... and why is Jack Mathews walking up the section with renewed attention to detail.........?

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-90820700-1397035702_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can't remember where I took this photograph of Alan Brown, and Alzheimers' has pinched the name of his passenger, but it is evocative of the way things were some twenty years ago.

Just look how narrow the handlebars were, and they had power to spare from the big Triumph motor - I can still remember the glorious noise when they tackled a long hill on full song.......

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-28197600-1398331396_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Another of Barry Robinson's 'lost' images - obviously it's Arthur Lampkin and Colin Pinder of the Bultaco outfit and the first thought is that it is from an Allan Jefferies trial, but look how wet they are and how wrapped up the spectators are - and the Jefferies is usually favoured with fine weather and shirt sleeves - so any clues anyone.

In the meantime, enjoy.

post-19290-0-45312500-1398335426_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Another image from the 'lost' pile of Barry Robinson - but also a sidecar, so for all you three-wheel enthusiasts, enjoy!

(Walt Bulloch and Brian Pearce, says bisby, many thanks, Deryk)

post-19290-0-76519700-1398335783_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1