Older Bultacos

laird387

The bike started off in life as a standard, metal tanked Bulto with silver frame and blue/silver tank; a 250cc but don't know what the actual model designation was. In those days, newly married and short of cash I couldn't afford to change my trials bike frequently so spent what cash I had tarting it up. I had the frame enamelled black and the tank painted red with white striping. I had the exhaust and a few other bits chromed in Exeter (I was living at Crediton at the time) and worked for a Volvo truck dealer on Marsh Barton Trading Estate. In fact back in October I was in Exeter and looked around for the garage where I worked; it's still there and has barely changed some 40 years later. But I digress.

Back to the Bulto, I kept it for another year or so and then moved on to a 250 yellow tanked Suzuki and so on. Strangely, I don't actually remember much about this particular Bultaco, even though I guess I owned it for probably three years, maybe more.

The reason I ask is three years ago I bought a Model 124 it has a chrome front pipe & silencer which are welded together as on the picture (was that std ?) clubfoot rear box as on picture, black frame, alloy plate under frame tubes for sump shield & a red seat cover.

The rear hub is the two piece type which I think was used on the 124 & 125 same as on picture. Strangely enough the Homelite tank/seat unit though now in plain alloy has previously been painted red, there are traces underneath the tank around the fuel tap and in the saddle as well as inside the side panels.

The engine outer cases on my bike are the earlier more rounded type than those pictured, these were I think were one of the main differences between the Model 124 & 125.

So many similarities between the two bikes.

The 124 and 125 are the same model, 124 = 250cc and 125 = 325cc

The 150 and 151 was the next model.

Both were very similar, main difference was the clutch cover, the 124/125 had the older rounded type, the 150/151 had the new type as per Rappers' bike. Both had the same front pipe welded to the silencer although finished black, no chrome, but the 124/5 had the slimmer rear silencer (boomerang) whereas the 150/1 was the first bike to have the bigger clubfoot box type.

Both had the split rear hub.

Going from memory now but I don't think you can fit the later clutch case to an earlier engine as the crank weight changed shape to suit the new clutch case. If you try and fit it to an earlier engine, the crank weight fouls the inside of the case and it won't locate properly. You have to change the weight as well - hence my comment about Rappers' bike most likely being a 150 if it had it's original parts.

The "blinged" Bulto in question was totally standard except for being tarted up. I had little mechanical knowledge then, (in fact not much more now!) so changing things was not something I did. Just about every bike I've owned I've ridden as it comes, out of the box and still do. I may well have used Renthals and perhaps different grips but generally as standard as they come. My current Beta's only change is to the pilot jet and a different pair of footrests.

• 6 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In 2013 Barry Robinson photographed Dave Wood riding his Bultaco in the Sammy Miller series round organised by the Ilkley Motor club.

If you are interested in classic or twinshock trials such as the Sammy Miller series, we are undertaking a fully illustrated history of these events in ORRe - the digital magazine available ONLY on this website.

post-19290-0-18751200-1409994847_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...