Older Montesas.

laird387

Hi,

I thought we could have a Montesa session - so to start the ball rolling here is John Reynolds (349 Montesa) in a Christmassy snowy scene on one of Barry Robinson's 'lost' negatives.

But no clues from a bib - but any ideas where and when?

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-88805000-1396774271_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

Another negative from Barry Robinson's pile of 'lost' identities - we know this is probably 1979 Northern Experts - but who is the rider?

(My grateful thanks to new member, basecampkid, who recognised Howard Jackman.)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-38140000-1396780526_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

The '70/'71 British trials champion Gordon Farley (Montesa) tries his hand in the Ilkley Grand National, photo : Barry Robinson.

(Correction from sparks2: It is the 1973 Inter Centre Team Trial held that year on Rooley Moor near Rochdale.)

Thanks for that sparks - if it was on Rooley Moor then another of the clubs that I was a member of would have to have been involved. The Senior Member was Pop Sandiford - the Bury club had Rooley as one of their grounds.

Enjoy,

post-19290-0-31534000-1396786304_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Good photos these - thanks for posting. A couple of corrections: the Brian Hutchinson shot is actually Nigel Greenwood. I wonder if the Gordon Farley photo is in fact the Ilkley GN; that being a time and observation trial you wouldn't see Thorpie inspecting a section. The Allan Jefferies perhaps?

Good photos these - thanks for posting. A couple of corrections: the Brian Hutchinson shot is actually Nigel Greenwood. I wonder if the Gordon Farley photo is in fact the Ilkley GN; that being a time and observation trial you wouldn't see Thorpie inspecting a section. The Allan Jefferies perhaps?

Hi cleanorbust, thanks for the Nigel Greenwood correction, which is now in place.

The Gordon Farley shot is only labelled Ilkley Grand National because of the bib - it comes from Barry's 'Lost' pile..........

Thanks for your help - by the way, have you any interest in all the historical stuff - or just the more recent?

Deryk

Hi

I absolutely agree with Cleanorbust, it's not the Ilkley GN, (Mr Gordon Farley didn't come north very often).

It is the 1973 Inter Centre Team Trial held that year on Rooley Moor near Rochdale.

Barry was obviously there in his professional capacity.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

I think number 48 may be Howard Jackman, or possibly one of the Oakley brothers.

Let's have more from this era please, which is largely ignored by historians. I think history will judge it as the golden era of "modern" trials with proper reliable machines, real trials in which to ride them over a good full day out and even the likes of me could ride a championship event and actually get through the sections.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another 'lost' negative, don't know who but we do know it is in the Red Rose trial, photographed by Barry Robinson.

(My grateful thanks to new member, basecampkid, who recognised Nigel Birkett.)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-92928300-1396852107_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2