Ajs In Trials

laird387

Hi Charlie,

Many thanks for that vote of confidence. In actual fact the die is just about cast because I can see an excellent way of combining not only the photographs from ORR and covering articles, but also similar items from the twelve books that I published in an electronic format of an 'Offroad Motorcycle Reference Library', published in a series of volumes and most likely through the Kindle format.

I am already exploring the full potential!

As a polite 'thanks' I am enclosing an image from the archive of Harry and Carole Foster, in action on their outfit in the 1976 British Experts - the one after the year of the time delay debacle. For those not in the know Harry was/is very much involved in building the frames for the BSA Otter projects.

The photograph shows Harry and Carole in action on Dan-y-craig, high above Llandrindod Wells.

Cheers

post-19290-0-86693100-1390045145_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Deryk.

Thanks for that picture, may i down load it to the BSA Otter web sight??

I might add that I will construct a new page on the www.bsaotter.com website for information about the NEW "Off Road Review", when it happens.

And in the mean time I will duplicate what I have said in the previous post , onto the BSA Otter site. and see what response I get on there for the Brilliant idea of a NEW "Off Road Review"

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Hi Deryk

I have really enjoyed your delves into the archives of ORR.

Please keep it coming in this electronic format, it would be such a shame if it were to be lost and forgotten.

Well done Charlie, I look forward to 'The Offroadarchive'.

Regards

Dave

Hi jc2,

I'm even older school........

Normally I would agree, I don't have a Kindle but I do all this either on my IMac or my iBook (all my publishing was done on Apple equipment which was 'de rigeur' for the printing world in those days.)

However on my iMac I also have a 'Kindle app.'

Enjoy

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Many are aware that the very last trials Ajays were sold by 'Arter Bros', a motorcycle dealer on the A2 near Barham, between Dover and Canterbury.

Well Tom Arter was a real motorcycling all-rounder, seen here on a trials Ajay in the Manville Cup trial in December 1952, who not only rode AMC products but also had a useful sideline taking various components from the factory in Plumstead and doing various sub-contract, pre-production machining jobs.

When the factory ran into final problems - one of the contractors still owed considerable sums were the Arters - who agreed with the liquidators to take a batch of twelve trials model components waiting to go to the final assembly line - in lieu of part payment of the AMC debt. They duly assembled the bikes and then sold them as complete models.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-40248700-1390216076_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

That man Tom Arter again - but this time in truly classic pose - wearing a long 'footing coat' (usually thought to be long enough for you to be able to lose a dab without being seen!) riding in one of the Press trials at Brands Hatch.

Don't have a date for the picture but it is one of the very latest Ajays with the shortstroke motor - could well have been one of that last batch of twelve - maybe the one that eventually ended up as RalphVenables personal transport?

Enjoy

post-19290-0-75845000-1390219928_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I started this post with an image which appealed to me because it captured the essence of trials - and I have a few more images which capture a different aspect of our sport.

Here, for example, are a few that Mary and I took during the Yorks Classic round of the British Bike championship in 1998, where we decided that a favourite old Yorkshire venue at Cowling could set a worthwhile test of riding skill.

For some reason the rocks in the beck at Cowling get coated with a sort of algae, almost as a Glazing - because there is no colour to it. But they are slippery in the extreme.

Hence you will see that Barry de Burgh found that getting cross with his AJS and attempting a typical 'Cumbrian Cross Buttock' throw mistimed it and the bike had the last laugh in the second shot!

post-19290-0-28281100-1390298257_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-31426000-1390298280_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I've often wondered just how many real AJS trials models were actually made in Plumstead, added to the great many 'cobbled together' since.

I don't know this particular model well enough to pronounce just from a photograph, but we did accept it for the pre-unit class in our Bath Classic trials - and I was the scrutineer often enough - so it certainly looked the part.

Whatever the provenance, Rob Shore was always a welcome sight, and seemed to enjoy himself.

Join him!

post-19290-0-23176300-1391015420_thumb.jpg

• Like 1