Matchless Models

laird387

Hi,

Anybody who rode in any of my trials series will recognise this rider. A quietly spoken Londoner with a wonderful dry sense of humour, Gerry Holdstock always thoroughly enjoyed his trialling.

He rode this marvellous early 1950s rigid Matchless which he had bought second-hand when it had relatively few miles on the clock - and then used it week in, week out at every possible trial he could enter - wait for it - and he rode that same machine for over fifty years.

He always said that he couldn't use all the capabilities of the machine - and anyway, when anybody produced something that he could enjoy more, he would think about buying it...........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-05214700-1396259735_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have to admit that my passion for classic motor cycles has given me an immeasurable amount of pleasure over the years - not least because of the interesting people that I have met in many corners of this world.

One such person is seen here on one of my own sections in the first Rhayader Classic Experts I helped to create, Edward Jones, a quietly spoken welshman who farmed not far from Macchynlleth, who led the telefork rigid class of the British Bike championships and the subsequent Sammy Miller series for several years.

I was able to help him with some bits and pieces and met him on the farm with his family - a totally welsh speaking family who always made me very welcome, very pleasant memories.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-10760700-1396508218_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Another negative from the lost pile - don't know who, where or when - but the old grey cells suggest Scarborough Two-day in about 1992 - or has anyone a better memory and can put some real detail for the record.

Whatever, enjoy a Matchless sylvan scene..........

post-19290-0-81742100-1406442342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

This is one of the tidy Matchless models we used to see regularly at the Talmag - this shot from the 1993 event, photographed by Mary Wylde.

(Dursleydabber says Stan Howitt, from Forest of Dean/Wyegate area. Thanks Steve - keep looking - I've hundreds of faces on images i 'know' but can't remember a name............Deryk)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-27277300-1411985946_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This shot is of Shane Lockley riding his own make Matchless with a Don Brooks frame in the 1996 Sammy Miller round at the Frank Jones trial organised by the Builth Wells club.

For members interested in the twinshock machines in these events I have started telling the story of 20+ years of the Sammy Miller series in the digital Magazine ORRe, where you will find plenty of images, all without watermarks, - so if you have ridden in a Sammy Miller trial - ever - there is a chance you could be in the magazine!

Photograph: Mary Wylde

Enjoy

post-19290-0-00110300-1412679394_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Deryk, I am intrigued by your last "Matchless" posting. I have enjoyed riding Poacher's trials, since their inception & would highly recommend them to proper pre 65ers. Shane is a skilled and accomplished rider & machine builder of AMC pre unit models. It is your reference to a Derek Brooks frame that interests me. Is this the late, well known prolific bike building D.B of Red Rose & Yorks Classic fame? I own the 16CS he fleetingly rode in the early 90s campaigned for many a decade by that gentleman rider Malcom Adams. The late, outspoken Howard Midgeley once gave my Ajay a thorough eyeballing @ a YMCC trial and pronounced it a genuine, original,based on one frame lug, that can't be copied!

Keep posting Derek. Your knowledge & diligence are much appreciated,giving great pleasure, whilst refreshing flagging memories.

Many thanks.

Hi Deryk, I am intrigued by your last "Matchless" posting. I have enjoyed riding Poacher's trials, since their inception & would highly recommend them to proper pre 65ers. Shane is a skilled and accomplished rider & machine builder of AMC pre unit models. It is your reference to a Derek Brooks frame that interests me. Is this the late, well known prolific bike building D.B of Red Rose & Yorks Classic fame? I own the 16CS he fleetingly rode in the early 90s campaigned for many a decade by that gentleman rider Malcom Adams. The late, outspoken Howard Midgeley once gave my Ajay a thorough eyeballing @ a YMCC trial and pronounced it a genuine, original,based on one frame lug, that can't be copied!

Keep posting Derek. Your knowledge & diligence are much appreciated,giving great pleasure, whilst refreshing flagging memories.

Many thanks.

Hi 61 ajs,

If you've been riding the Poachers trials since their inception, we have ridden together!

No - the Brooks frame builder was actually a push-bike man by trade who lived near Grantham and built his frames in a garden shed, and I'm fairly sure he didn't build Malcolm Adams frame - but he certainly built Shane's.

If you are enjoying the occasional postings on 'TC' I can only recommend that you enrol for ORRe - 'cos there's a lot more detail coming in there for the classic enthusiast and I'm going to use the more modern stuff on 'TC' itself.

Thanks are due to another old friend Mick Ash - who has reminded me the frame builder was not Derek Brooks - but Don Brooks!

Cheers

Deryk

Edited by laird387

Hi,

To anyone interested in the AJS/Matchless marque of competition models, I am about to start a complete analysis of those models, the differences year by year and between the two original factories, spread over a series in my digital magazine 'ORRe' which I am sure you will know is ONLY available through this website - so if you want a complete history of all the changes, fully illustrated and verified with people who worked in the Plumstead factory and also the works riders, then better get a subscription now.

It's the best value digital magazine product on the market - and when you take your subs. out you immediately get free access to all the back issues automatically.

Here's an appetite whetter - Nick Hough riding his Matchless in the 1997 Frank Jones trial, a round of the Sammy Miller series, through one of the last sections at 'Noyadd' - where I was the section plotter and Mary was the photographer.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-74158100-1412949518_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...