Pro Racing Engine Oil

davet

Eh op I have just got a pro racing 250, people I know advise me to use ATF Dextrone 3 oil , but the dealer told me only use light oil .

What is your preference and do you know what benefits one has over the other.

Cheers Dave.

You need to refer to this oil and what it is for correctly, because you can get answers that vary. what you are talking about in our 2 stroke bikes, is the Transmisssion lubrication. in a 4 stroke this many times is "engine oil" because the whole engine is lubricated with this oil... a 2 stroke the "Engine" (aka piston, & rod, and in the old days main bearings) the engine is lubricated with oil added to fuel, called Premix oil. Gasgas started lubing the 2 main crank bearings in the 2002 pro engine with the oil in the gearbox, this is EXACTLY why you change the oil VERY OFTEN!!! 10-12 hours of section riding...

Now we're past that information,

I recommend until you are full on hopping everything (turns etc) that you use lighter side of engine oils... I use 5/30w yamaha's fully synthetic engine oil, in my bikes. this allows the clutch to have a nice range of slip when you are trying to feather the clutch through a turn. ATF I believe is favored by upper level class riders that don't ride like us mortals; that hop everything and do 12ft ledges and stuff. they want the clutch to lock up instantly...

I want the clutch to not lock up instantly, to let me make my turn without killing the engine or pushing the front tire out of bounds, I don't hop except when I make a mistake usually, I can get by with one hop maybe 2, else I just put foot down and turn the damn bike to where I need to go. if that describes you as well, try the automobile engine oils in the transmission.

This being non USA board, I have to let you make the conversions, I just assumed all cars and 4 stroke engines use oil labeled something like 10w/30 like we do in the states. instead of 400 cc that the manual says, I use only 375 cc's.. but I do NOT use this bike to do anything but ride sections on, if you are going to trail ride, fill it full like manual says, just to be safe.

ATF is designed for rapid clutch / band brake lock up in automatic transmissions that usually have epicylic gears, a fluid flywheel and jurid coupling

You may find a 10w 40 or 5w 30 oil better and gice satisfactory clutch action and it will protect your gearbox better and give smoother gear changes.

• Like 1