Douglas - The Unlikely Trials Bike?

laird387

• 1 month later...

Hi

I knew a former trials rider by the name of Philip Shaw (sadly now no longer with us).

Philip was active in the immediate post war years and into the 50's. He remembered an incident when a complete horizontal

cylinder was smashed off a trials Douglas during a Yorkshire Centre trial.

It makes Mick Andrews achievement in finishing the Scottish pre-65 on a Douglas in recent years all the more remarkable.

Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks et al,

I knew if I tried I could find an image of Mick Andrews riding the Douglas in the 2006 Scottish Pre-65, and here it is, courtesy of photographer Jack Knoops of Ripon.

Enjoy

Deryk

post-19290-0-49877800-1399101662_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

• 6 years later...
On 3/10/2014 at 8:06 AM, laird387 said:

Hi,

Whenever you organised a classic event on Hungry Hill (and Weaver's Down before that was lost) you could almost guarantee entries from the London Douglas club, just as this in the 1998 'Old Codgers' - is his name Phillips?

Enjoy

post-19290-0-51243000-1394438769_thumb.jpg

Good Evening, His name is Dave Richmond, my godfather. Trevor Phillipps (My father) that also rode a comp Douglas at hungry Hill with 2 sometimes 3 others. All in their 80's now or no longer with us

On 4/1/2014 at 9:47 AM, laird387 said:

Hi,

Another image from my set of 'lost' identities - but most will just be interested to see the Douglas in action, so enjoy.

post-19290-0-21702400-1396342027_thumb.jpg

Dave Rogers on his competition Douglas

On 1/19/2014 at 11:43 AM, laird387 said:

Hi,

An interesting image from the 'Old Codgers' trial, run in Surrey, supported by Ralph Venables.

It shows Dave Rodgers, a regular 'Talmag' supporter on his Douglas, a fascinating machine, I hope you'll agree.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-91291600-1390131797_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of me, Michelle Phillipps competing in the Old Codger on my late fathers (Trevor Phillipps) Comp. I spent my youth around off road trials in various locations in England with the Douglas Trials 'team'. After I lost my father I decided to have a go myself. I only did one season. A difficult machine to manoeuvre through sections. To be honest, I did not do very well, but I absolutely LOVED it and was proud to ride 'Dad's' bike in a way it was intended to be used. I still ride Douglas's but not in trials. 

img20230821_14132675 (3).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1