Just Bagged Myself A 2008 4Rt - Advice Please !

gregr

Hi Guys

Just treated myself to a used 2008 4rt and will be going through it before riding it ... so where should I start ... are there any "must do's" with older Montesa's and whos the people to get the parts from .

I've no manual but managed to download one for a 2005 ... ok ... yes/no ?

Oils , whats best and how much ...

Plus , one thing I never understand it has the black frame which is worn in several area's and overall makes the bike look a bit tatty ... I run a vapourblasting business and am considering getting rid of the black to leave a satin finished Ali' ... whats you're thoughts !

ANY information you can throw at me is appreciated and thanks in advance ...

Cheers

Greg

Oh , last but no least IF I was to consider registering it for the road , who can provide proof of date {I guess the Uk importer at the time}

Welcome to the heavy weight class ;0)

Parts from either BVM, Sandifords, st Blazey or Craigs.

2005 manual is fine, no big mechanical changes to yours.

Oils, castrol power 1 4T 10w-30 engine oil (4 ltr bottle will do 8 changes), elf HTX 740 for the transmission (1ltr bottle will do just under 2 changes) it's expensive, but the best (BVM only I think).

Frame wise, do what you like, it's your bike, personnally I'd leave it black, you can get frame covers to cover up the scratches.

Things to do, change oils, filters and change the fork oil, check suspension linkage bearing/bushes and pack with grease. Clean the tea bag filter on the fuels pump (in petrol and an airline).

Enjoy :0)

Edited by jj65
  • Like 1

jj65 has it about covered. Brake parts are common with other trials bikes with the AJP calipers etc. Oil filter common with CRF 250. ATF can be used in gearbox with good results. Air filter cleaned every ride and don't try and start the bike with a freshly oiled air filter.Leave it on the bench for an hour before fitting it. Solvents seem to confuse the injection system. Munch at M Sport is a top contact if you have any issues or for parts etc

I have an '05 4RT since last summer and I love it. It is a great bike as is and you can simply enjoy it as it sits.

One thing I have learned that is key to the fuel injection working correctly: Do not touch the throttle when you start it and do not even blip the throttle until it is warm enough for the fan to come on. Otherwise, you will confuse the injection and it will run very rich.

Be aware that the brake pedals are subject to getting hooked on things and bending or breaking. At about US$60 each, they can add up. I have seen a couple guys with aftermarket pedals that are shorter and tuck in much better. Be sure to leave enough free play in the pedal and don't drag the brake needlessly. The shoes will heat up, boil the fluid, cook the disc and lock up the rear.

Many people recommend installing a protective guard on the clutch side of the engine. Of course, some people bling theirs up with all kinds of carbon fiber covers.

I see no reason that you couldn't vapor blast the fame. You know all about masking and cleaning. My '05 has the matte aluminum finish from the factory. I actually wish I had the black like yours.

On a different forum (not sure if I can say it on here) there is a good thread on improving the 4RT. Props to a guy named Motobene for developing and documenting these changes. I have made some of the changes and am very happy so far.

1) remove 2 springs from the clutch. So much easier to properly slip the clutch.

2) back the rebound clickers, front and back, way out. It makes the bike act much lighter and easier to get up and over obstacles. I plan to clean the forks out and replace with 2.5 weight oil to make it even better.

3) Roll your bars forward will help with the tendency of the front wheel to tuck on tight turns when leaning the bike.

Most importantly, get it out of the garage and ride it! Have fun.

I have an '05 4RT since last summer and I love it.

One thing I have learned that is key to the fuel injection working correctly: Do not touch the throttle when you start it and do not even blip the throttle until it is warm enough for the fan to come on. Otherwise, you will confuse the injection and it will run very rich.

Maybe this is a problem with the '05 but I've got an '08 and have never been able to "confuse" the injection.

I just start the bike with no throttle, run it for a few minutes, "blipping" the throttle ( like the handbook says) until it warms up enough to idle, put my helmet and gloves on and away we go.

• Like 2

If your going to the lengths of stripping the frame, check for cracks around where the footrest hangers bolt on, it can be a weak area if the bike has had a tough time. If they break off, its not an easy fix.

Replace oil and filter as already stated, i run Motul 300v 5w30 and use it in the clutch and gearbox. 1ltr will replace both.

Probably best to put a new plug in, just to keep her sweet. Other than that ENJOY

Thanks guys , after a good nites sleep have just been looking over the bike and yes there are the usual suspects that will need replacing , so all points taken onboard thanks very much , was a bit of a pig to start from cold but maybe thats just me !.... one thing that HAS to go are the wheels , the guy was into a bit of "bling" and had the wheels powder coated the Repsol Orange , not just the rim and the hub , the wholeeeee thing ... sorry but thats way too much orange for me {more than my 5 a day} and wondering if there's anyone that wants to do a swop ???? ... before I start stripping them out ! ... can post pics for a topic ,,, cheers Greg

Edited by gregr

Another tip:

If it doesn't start from the first or second kick "reset" the throttle:

Open the throttle all the way and kick the starter slowly all the way down. It should start then with no problem.

Another tip:

If it doesn't start from the first or second kick "reset" the throttle:

Open the throttle all the way and kick the starter slowly all the way down. It should start then with no problem.

Superb , I think I may have done this by mistake and she fired-up !

• Like 1