Early Pre-65 Scottish Trials

laird387

Hi,

In the 1998 pre-65 Scottish, Mary Wylde was busy with her camera at the old Aluminium works section, where she spotted Bill Buskell, already a septuagenarian, with his rigid Francis-Barnett 150cc fitted with those 'lightweight modern appendages' called girder forks!!!!!!

Now, all you youngsters, would you believe many British manufacturers hung on to girder forks for their machines because they were a lot lighter than the telescopic forks of the day (particularly since the damping on the early teles. was nothing to write home about.)

For similar reasons they opted for the rigid back ends...........

Indeed in 1954 (if I remember correctly) the BSA works suddenly realised they were getting beaten by Royal Enfield - with a sprung rear end, so ordered their works riders to take their rear-sprung scrambles frames and put their trials motors and gearboxes in to ride until the works could get a batch of sprung trials frames ready..........

The mind boggles - and yet we won the war?

Enjoy

post-19290-0-60733200-1390147211_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hello there! Great to see this photograph of the late Bill Buskell in Scotland. I can tell you that the machine is still in competition. Indeed, this week's TMX News reported on the Dabbers Trials Club's New Year event at Little Lodge Farm, Santon Downham and an old friend of mine, John Chapman, took second place in the Pre70 Rigid Class on the ex-Buskell Francis Barnett. Best regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sadly we have no record of the year but here is Bill Price concentrating hard on Pipeline with the little rigid DMW in a Pre-65 Scottish.

Obviously a clue in that it was before they started using the 'original style' numbers.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-19679100-1391704497_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We won’t identify the rider, clearly showing the problems facing the riders of rigid machines in the Pre-65 Scottish in 2002. Photo by Jean Caillou.

Sad when so many other pre-65 organisers were finding good support from the class - it wasn't unusual in the British Bike championship for the class to be the largest in the entry!

Enjoy

post-19290-0-43102500-1394350902_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

"Sad when so many other pre-65 organisers were finding good support from the class - it wasn't unusual in the British Bike championship for the class to be the largest in the entry!"

As Donald Sutherland said " to many negative waves "

(HI, b40rt,

I agree - but the caption was actually written by Jean Caillou - a very sympathetic supporter of the Kinlochleven event - so they are not my negative waves.

I will admit to heartily agreeing with him!

Deryk)

Edited by laird387

Hi,

The wait on Friday, 2002 in the Pre-65 Scottish at Pipeline, Peter Gaunt is next to go, with Mick Grant next in line. How disappointing for Mick to be recalled by his racing employers after the Friday ride with only one mark lost – to sort out a team problem!

Peter had ridden from Yorkshire to Fort William on his road bike whilst his son Neil brought the little BSA up in the van. “I’m a born-again-biker” Peter happily claimed!

Photo by Jean Caillou. Enjoy.

post-19290-0-92451500-1394351352_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Some of the trials in the Sammy Miller championship had a trail bike class, which is where we first saw Carl Bancroft - but he enjoyed the series so much he went out and found himself a Bullet trials bike so that he could enter all the trials.

Here he is on Loch Eild Path in the 1995 Pre-65 Scottish.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-25744200-1395829931_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...