Evo Clutch

pistonbroke

I have an Evo 250 2010 and the clutch has now started to slip, so I am going to order a new set of fibre plates and hopefully this should solve the problem .

Does anybody know if I should order a new set of springs as well to be on the safe side or not bother ?

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Phil

Depends on the cause of the failure

If you have overheated the clutch the springs may have lost their preload

You need to measure the free length of the springs, it's quick and easy

And it might save you from cooking another set of plates

Did you do the clutch fix? Polishing the tabs helps with the slip as it allows the fibers to properly re-engage under torque. Another thing to look for is to make sure your adjustment on the bars lets the lever return far enough to uncover the reservoir port in the master cylinder. When the lever doesn't return all the way the heating of the hydraulic fluid causes expansion that would normally just flow into the reservoir. If the hole is blocked though the fluid pressurizes the system slightly disengaging the clutch.

I think the springs are probably fine. You'd have smoked the transmission fluid before you reach the temperature necessary to take the temper out of the springs.

Did you do the clutch fix? Polishing the tabs helps with the slip as it allows the fibers to properly re-engage under torque. Another thing to look for is to make sure your adjustment on the bars lets the lever return far enough to uncover the reservoir port in the master cylinder. When the lever doesn't return all the way the heating of the hydraulic fluid causes expansion that would normally just flow into the reservoir. If the hole is blocked though the fluid pressurizes the system slightly disengaging the clutch.

I think the springs are probably fine. You'd have smoked the transmission fluid before you reach the temperature necessary to take the temper out of the springs.

The adjustment of the lever etc. is correct so I have ordered new fibre plates .It has been getting progressively worse recently so it is more than likely due a new set.

When they arrive I shall also purchase a dremil and do the clutch fix although I didn't have any problems before it started slipping , but with the new plates it might rear it's ugly head and start dragging when cold ( had a sherco that used to do this !! very scary at times !! )

Thanks to all for the advice

Phil

Without having a machine to measure the springs and compare to new, you do not if they are good or not. All springs (including clutch springs) fatigue with use and need replacing from time to time. They are cheap, so just replace when replacing clutch plates. Standard practice for any good mechanic.

• Like 1

LOL, maybe he meant Baaaad, not Bad

Thumper the machine you refer to is not required

Springs lose free length with age and use, they never lose rate

Loss of free length means loss of preload which can cause slippage as there is simply less pressure on the pressure plate, simple

So a micrometer is all a good mechanic needs, or a Baaaad mechanic

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know how you get on. Knowledge shared is knowledge multiplied.

Just thought I would report my experience with my clutch.

The only reason I changed the plates was because they started slipping. So with my new plates , I did the clutch fix that Dan explains in great length on this forum.My clutch didn't drag at all previously but with the new plates altered as Dan explains, the difference is astounding!! It's now smoother than before with more 'feel', it doesn't seem to 'clunk' now between gear changes so all in all I'm well pleased !! Thanks Dan for your efforts !! Brilliant !!

Phil