The 1964 Scottish.

laird387

There have been many tales told about the river crossing in 1964. I was an early number and when we arrived at the river it was in flood. I saw four riders get two wooden stakes and put them through the front and back wheels and lifted the bikes one at a time to shoulder height and waded across the river which was chest height. Four trips and four got across! About 50 or so of the early numbers decided to retreat and we found a mobile grocer making local deliveries - he told us to keep turning left at junctions and we would arrive back in Fort William.John Lewis was a late number and couldn't understand why we had turned back because when he arrived at the river crossing it was rideable. Of the early numbers it was Peter Gaunt who launched his bike and got threequarters of the way across,and I believe it was the late Dave Clegg who tried to use a footbridge which collapsed under the weight of his bike. I know these things "because I was there". Incidentally, I have a receipt from the Station Hotel in Fort William for bed,breakfast and evening meal for five nights - total £10.11 and 9 pence. - those were the days!

• Like 2