Ariel Trials Models

laird387

Hi,

This is another don't know where, don't know when - but we do know it is a forum member - so come on Mick, tell us where and when and I've got another sixty shots taken that day that can grace these pages........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-89145500-1396028180_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That was at the Midland Classic hosted round of the British Bike championship on 16th July 1989. The bike had Ariel Leader hubs. It also has a pre war (1929) timing chest and outer cover.

The original bike at #42 has its correct front hub,not a Leader one.

• Like 3

Hi,

Here is 'the' other variation of the Ariel trials scene, the HT3 350cc version.

It really was an interesting machine, created solely to allow riders to compete in the 'up-to-350cc' class, because the bore and stroke dimensions were intentionally kept totally proportionate so that the performance characteristics were close to identical - insofar as trials were concerned.

We gathered a whole group of HT5 and HT3's together for a group test, with all the riders trying every other machine through the same three sections and proved that the only real differences were in suspension settings and footrest positions - no other significant differences were spotted!

This is Trevor Stuckey with his HT3, previously owned by Dick Comer and with the petrol tank modified by Les Thomas and Mike David.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-55180200-1396175829_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Richard made the trip from Colchester in Essex to the west riding of Yorkshire to ride his Girder Rigid Ariel in the West Riding round of the Sammy Miller championship.

As usual he asked permission to ride the more difficult versions of the sections wherever there was a sidecar/rigid easier option, and still won the class with a score that embarrassed some of the riders on telefork springers and the like.

But we all enjoyed seeing him every time he rode - and that , for me, is what it's all about.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-84055700-1396280750_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Obviously came from a keenly pre-65 home! A young Nick Bridges - yes, one of Dennis Bridges children - out on the only suitable machinery for a person with such a heritage, a pre-war Ariel Red Hunter converted for trials use.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-69159300-1396340692_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Creating the British Bike Championships definitely widened the spread of interest in classic trials. Here, for example, is Ali Tanner, from Surrey - who joined forces with his mates 'The Lord Derby Runners' aka Carter and Reginald May, Esq., to make the trip way oop north amongst the warlike natives of the West Riding to splash their wheels in Cowling Beck.

I can assure you, their weekends were long and uproarious - and much fun was enjoyed by all.

Here is the Squadron Leader with his girder-forked Ariel.

post-19290-0-95661200-1396509696_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Bill Haines on his rigid Ariel HT5 has realised exactly where John Wheeler, the Clerk of the Course for the Downland round of the Sammy Miller championship, which takes place in Berkshire, wants him to go next!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-84328500-1396623186_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Another of my lost negatives, don't know exactly where or when - but I do know it's my old mate Wally Dalton with his Ariel, still using the original frame, but a lot of the lighter accessories, better forks, different rear shocks, AMC mainshaft in Burman box, AMC clutch, etc.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-67932200-1400481685_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Another image to puzzle over - to help me get it correctly filed does anyone know the name of this Ariel rider in the 1993 Talmag, photographed by Mary Wylde.

Enjoy.

(Ducman says: That is belgium rider Eddy Zels from Heudsen/Zolder.)

Thanks again,

Deryk

post-19290-0-63246900-1403073825_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

This image taken by Mary at the 1993 Talmag has an air of Steve Potten - but I think it's actually a visitor from Europe with an oil-in-frame replica Ariel.

I never could understand why people bothered to shorten the main shaft and remove the front 'blimp' on the primary chaincase when your ankle and footrest stuck out beyond that point and helped you remember to avoid obstructions.........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-02244200-1403277695_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1