Model M10 Sidestand Question

twinnshock

Did the early model 10 have a sidestand? Every photo I look at does not show one.

I am currently restoring an early M10 frame/engine number ***291. The frame does not have a lug for a side stand. I have an illustrated parts list that also does not show a stand. I owned in the past a later model 10 (2nd edition/flat bottom tank) which I sold about 6 years ago but before selling took a lot of close up detail photographs and this bike had a 2 bolt lug just inboard of the right hand foot rest. Was this standard or been added at some time?

I always regretted selling my first M10 but at the time was rebuilding a plane and needed the money. To be honest this new one was a total wreak when I bought it but in the past I have restored bikes passed up by other experienced restorers so this is nothing new for me. I intend rebuilding as good as I can get it then go and ride it.

Stuart Penfold

Hi Stuart , yes the 10 did have a side stand , and the lug you describe on your later 10 sounds correct , a lot of bikes have them missing , im doing a 27 at the moment and thats been ground off . The stand is the same as the 27 and early 49s , its a 2 part piece with the spring inside the stand itself which has a ball and plunger arrangement . They move up and down a bit when on the move if worn . I have an original one which i have lent out to be copied and i have one fitted to a 49 which has an external spring fitted , if you pm me i can send you a pic

post-10669-0-90042100-1390625024_thumb.jpgHi- If this helps- my bike is Model 10-#117 and I have the frame stripped down starting a clean up. I just bought it so do not know if this is a proper lug but appears to be. bult360-I too would be very interested in seeing what an original side stand looks like if possible-Thanks Edited by larrynz

Hi Stuart,

Many years ago I met a Spanish Bultaco Guru deep in the heart of Catalonia. We broke bread and shared tapas in a typically busy noisy tavern. As the evening wore on, I looked him square in the eye and asked him,"Toni, Why does your early model 10 have a side stand and the one have at home doesn't?" He spat out an olive stone, as it landed on the plate the bar fell silent and he said, "In England you have more trees to lean your bike against"... A huge cheer erupted, and everyone present raised their glass in salute.

My analysis of his reply is thus. Bultaco were always tinkering with the specification of their bikes and it often depended on which country they were destined for. The model 10 "national" version has a side stand for certain and I bet the ones that went to USA, NZ etc did as well.

Obviously the penny finally dropped that there were perhaps not as many trees in the Uk as anticipated. Legend has it that Sammy Miller commissioned the New Forrest in order to alleviate the problem, but thankfully the factory yielded and side stands were soon fitted as standard.. I see this as an early victory for common sense.

669NHO does not have a side stand. Rather than weld one on, I simply carry round a large potted Olive tree.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

bultacosd,

interesting that they may have been with or without depending on the market. I would have thought that they would have welded the lug on all frames just not supplied the bolt on stand but that implies logic which where Bultaco's are concerned does not always apply. When I had my previous model M10 that had the lug but no stand. I had a length of broom handle that wedged under a foot rest and some elastic bands to strap it to the handlebars but more often than not a East Anglia tree would do the job.

My plan is to add a lug at this time and I can fit a stand if I want but as it probably if using the correct stand it will wang around so will not bother. In one of Sammy Millers books he has a picture of a later bike propped up by a gallon oil can. Perhaps I should carry one in aback pack.

Interesting that Sammy Miller is responsible for the New Forest. I would have thought as you have eluded to in your post he would have planted more olive tree's. Them Oak's take such a long time to grow.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

I have never seen a picture of a m10 with a side stand fitted?

Mark G

I had not seen any photographs either and having previously owned a M10 with this lug fitted I was not sure. I suspect now that the original design was not very good and if it was supplied was probably taken of and not used. I am planning to replace the lug on mine so I can fit a stand if required but think I will not bother with the actual stand. After all we do have a lot of trees in East Anglia.

Stuart