The Blue Boy And Lil Boy Blue Build

wfo speedracer

On another note I was out ring the 125 yesterday and it suddenly died, no tools on board ( got to save weight you know)anyway I did the obvious checks, pulled the fuel hos and checked flow, all good, tried to choke it and the choke would not work. Hmmmmmmmm there is a clue, so I wrangled the airbox hose off and stuck in the back of the carb is a trailer lug nut, I broke off a branch on a tree and finagled it out of there, whew because that would have been a long damn push home lol.

• 2 months later...

I finally did some work on this beast, apparently at some point the chain derailed damaging the flywheel housing and the ignition pickup, finding a new ignition pickup has not worked out for me so far, the wiring had been cut almost too close to repair, I said almost, I ohmed the pickup out and it seems within normal range, so I soldered two new wires on it and epoxied over the solder joints and a place where it looks like the chain hit it.

Then I made an aluminum shoe to cover it and am JB welding it on, when that cures I am JB welding over the aluminum shoe and making a cosmetic repair on the cover. One more thing the chain derailed hard enough to bend the cover in slightly and the flywheel rubbed it, the pickup also took one helluva lick and I am sure the timing is now retarded.

I straightened the cover as well as I could, ground the inside where it was rubbing and am going to install a 4 degree offset flywheel key for a CR50F, yes its the same key and available from ADA racing for $ 9.95.

Hopefully somewhere down the road I can find another stator housing, stator and pickup or convert it over to XR200 stuff.

• 6 months later...

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while and I have an update of sorts, I found another running bike that I am trading a running ATC200S and two non running ATC 200'Ss for, the deal should go down sometime this weekend, I know what you are thinking well so much for this build but no, the builds will continue.

I have on the way a set of rings and a gasket set for the TL125 , a complete gasket set for the TLR200 and some other goodies, the build on the TLR will continue till it is like I want it, meanwhile I will use the new bike as a beater so I have something to ride while I build something really nice.

I will probably tear the TL125 down all the way and at least repaint the frame before putting the engine back in it, I will work on paint and fenders for both bikes later, that.s the easy part anyway.

I will post up pics when I get the new TLR here, more than likely I will be riding this weekend if it's nice .

Edited by wfo speedracer

And here it is folks, I am almost bummed, I fully expected it to be beaten and broken, no dents in the tank, its missing sidecovers and a taillight and the rear fender has been Frankenstein patched, I was going to use it as a beater, I probably still will after pulling all the good parts off and putting my beat up one on it,

I popped the float bowl this morning, dumped the fuel, poured some fresh in the tank and it started on the first kick, 3000 original miles on the clock.

I think this one is slated for a full blown restoration down the road, parts are being removed and carefully boxed up for future use.

0131150938_zpszk5rxwbo.jpg

• Like 1

So I got around to putting some front brakes on this thing off the other bike, while I was at it I decided to repair the bent up rear brake lever, I fired up the torch and straightened it out, then I kickstarted it and rode it back over to the shop.

When I got to the shop I looked at the brake pedal and it was all bent up again WTF ?

I started an investigation, the stopper was all there and intact, so I went on the web and got some pics, the kickstarter lever has been changed to an XR200 part.

So now what, finding a new TLR kickstarter is not an easy task, so I look at the brake pedal closely and it looks if you lengthened the brake pedal everything would clear just fine.

So with a piece off a damaged gearshift lever and a tooth part cut off an old footpeg I lengthened and widened the brake pedal.

I will post pics up tomorrow as the bike was left at my other shop.

wfo,

TLR200 kick start levers are still available from Honda via Babbitt's and Partzilla for $82. I bought one a year ago for my TLR250. I also see them on ebay fairly often. Make sure you don't get a new copy off ebay, they are junk.

wfo,

TLR200 kick start levers are still available from Honda via Babbitt's and Partzilla for $82. I bought one a year ago for my TLR250. I also see them on ebay fairly often. Make sure you don't get a new copy off ebay, they are junk.

Thanks I looked one up somewhere and it was $127.00, I will keep looking for now this fixed the issue.

0205151603_zpsep3hfxaw.jpg

I saw the $127 ones too. Partzilla and Babbitt's have very good prices and on line parts fiche that let you know if the part is obsolete.

Is the kick start in the photo from the XR200? It looks like the bend around the case is right but it also looks like there is no stop on the shaft clamp or does the photo angle hide it?

• 4 weeks later...

So I had some extra epoxy resin mixed up today and decided to make a new seat cowl, yeah I know I made it too short but the beauty of fiberglass is you just rough it up and lay some more glass, at any rate here is what I have so far. I already have it taped up so I can lay the rest of the glass tomorrow. Or I may just beef it up and use this as a plug, then make a mold so I can make these and sell them, you never know !

0303151314_zpsvqwabhbe.jpg

0303151718_zpsiuoo922f.jpg

Edited by wfo speedracer
  • Like 1

Eventually I will be making my own tank - seat combo from Carbon fiber, I can easily use this piece and my beater bondoed up tank to splash a mold , however I would want to narrow it up some in the middle which means sectioning the mold and putting it back together, I also had thoughts of just making a shell that looks like a tank and running the hebo numberplate tank as the actual fuel tank, it holds 1.1 gallons, I remember riding my xl185 to school and back all week on 1.8 gallons.

Edited by wfo speedracer