Ossa Reliability Issues?

stpauls

Going back to how reliable they are, i would say they have good reliability. There is less fiddling round compared to say the GG's, i.e. no carb to clean and the airbox stays very clean and free from water.

Despite that, manufacturer defects have been at the forefront of the Ossa. I've had mine 7 months now and have had 2 new selector drums and now it has developed a rattly grumble from the engine. Kinda worrying as at the trial yesterday 3 people in 3 separate spots noticed it too. Fotunately one was our local dealer and he has it now for a skeet. Potentially main bearings which is worrying for its age and i have periodically removed the flywheel cover and re-sealed. Will let you guys know what the outcome is.

Apart from those issues i have had, i am extremely happy with my Ossa and will be getting another one. I do also have to say that i enjoy riding it a lot more than the Gas Gas i had before.

Given I got £3k for a 2013 GG in November thats not bad. Yes the ossa is more expensive initially but I do think you lose more on each manufacturers factory edition as well. Ie if a raga is £1500 more than a std model you dont get £1500 more for the used one. So the loss on this ossa is reasonably comparable.

Isn't this section the wrong place to ask ?

A bit like asking in, say the sherco section, are sherco's good bikes.

Hi

I am not completely 100% sure, but I am pretty certain that I posted my original question about the reliability of the OSSA 280i in the "General Trials Talk" section, not the OSSA section. I was somewhat surprised to find that the posting had been removed from that forum, to the OSSA forum. I agree that a cynic might well suspect that opinions in the "OSSA" section could be biased - especially if there was an agenda, such as a person could have a (troublesome) bike to sell.

I was speaking to the owner of an OSSA trail model (2011) last Sunday at the Golden Valley trial. He told me that he had experienced starting issues (now solved with a battery pack) and also gearbox issues, but I cannot recall what. Reading around, it appears that many owners have experienced gearbox failure, starting issues and several newish models recently have had swinging arm bearings replaced. Also, on e.bay at the moment there is a 2011 OSSA 280i that has had a new cylinder head and despite help from Birkett the importers, the seller is unable to get it running. Therefore, a 2011 bike is being sold as a non-runner! This could be unprecedented - because I have never seen a two/three year old bike being sold as a non-runner before (apart from a Voskhod - Russian rubbish in the early 70s).

The lesson for the manufacturers is not to release models until they have been thoroughly tested for reliability.

The lesson for potential buyers is imagine how you might feel in a few weeks/months time when you are unable to compete because your new (to you) bike has suffered a catastrophic and expensive mechanical failure.

I like the design of the 280i but I am still nervy about buying one that could lead to upset and expense.

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 1

Fortunately for ossa owners you can rest easy knowing that if you have a catastrophic failure in the first 2 years the parts will be covered under warranty, which is a full 2 years for the ossa, and has no doubt proved to be a saviour for a number of owners, especially those that had the gearbox failure from the early models.

On another note, if I was in the uk I would be all over the "non runner" as I don't believe it can be much wrong without at all. No doubt it will be a bargain for someone.

• Like 2

The 2011 non runner must be a setup issue after replacing the cylinder head-it just needs to be sent back to a dealer who knows what they are doing and has the computer software to upgrade the management system.

Like all modern bikes or cars any technical issues it has to go back to a dealer for factory reset and latest management upgrade simply it can't be done at home.

• Like 1

Diy work on ecu's is simple, dealers are only needed for it due to manufacturers charging a fortune for cables and software. Everything should have a standard diagnostic port as a minimum as cars have had for years.

I was tempted by the non runner but 1600 was my limit, it's a gamble after all so you've got be happy with the odds.

The ossa has been designed by Josep Serra, the same person who designed the Gasgas pro engine.

Extremely clever designs but also built on the limit to be competitive and light not necessarily durable. If ossa (gasgas?) stick to improving it and take on board feedback from customers and importers it will be a good bike, its just a question of when.

#44 is spot on about the standard diagnostic port

Edited by dadof2