Trailer Ideas?

sherco34

Thinking of building a bit of a custom trailer with mini lite alloys and checker plate etc...

Im just not too keen on having to compress the forks and suspension when strapping it down, anyone got any alternatives? Also any other things you think might be good to add?

Thanks.

Hi, our solution to this is obviously a personal opinion and i am sure there are many ways to skin this cat. we to dislike the compressing of suspension etc, our idea is derived from our grasstrack days where we had a fixed gate at the tow bar end of the trailer, the gate is made so the wheel slide in at least a 3rd of the diameter of the wheel deep and a tight fit on the width. on trials bikes we have to let the tyres down to about 5 psi, the gate the other end is hinged to aid loading. once all bikes are loaded at the tow bar end. The rear gate can be raised and again this needs to be a tight fit on the width of the tyres and close up approximately a 3rd deep again. a ratchet strap is then tensioned between the two gates this way the you are pulling the wheels into the gates along the centre line of the bikes through the wheel spindles. sure enough if you are over zealous you could bend things (forks etc) but if you apply a little common sense and ratchet up just enough to compress the gate into the tyres you will be fine, because the gates are a 3rd up the wheels then the bikes stay upright. we found it was best to make the gate accept the two outside bikes on forwards (front wheels towards towbar) and the centre bike front end facing the tail gate of the trailer. you ask for other tips etc, we make a means to carry the fuel cans on the trailer, keeps the fumes out of the van or car. we also carry the footpump and tool box for basic tools on the trailer as well. one version of this trailer idea had a lightweight box on the front of the a frame of the trailer for wet riding gear etc. this idea was abandoned as it made the trailer to heavy at the front. A jockey wheel is an essential part of any trailer even though so many trailer either don't have them or people make no provision to fit one.

i hope all this helps, it's just our experiences.

Hi Sherco34,

My homemade single bike trailer is on my garage page http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/garage/vehicle/17-montesa/

It doesn't compress the bike's suspension. Front wheel held securely, rear wheel strapped down. No suspension on trailer, bike acts as the suspension. Also have a three bike trailer with a rack that holds the front wheel of the centre bike and rear wheel of the outside bikes. starp the wheels to the rack and no compression of the suspension.

Both trailer have worked well for over 50,000km of trials bike towing.

Edited by stkman

In France I used to see a lot of simple trailers, which seemed to be just an axle with a railway sleeper across it, onto which the bike's sump sits. Really neat and effective.

The critical bit, often ignored, is to have enough distance between the tow ball and the axle of the trailer (and to get the fore and aft positionng of the bikes correct relative to the axle). Many build this too short for good stability. I took the measurements of my old RJH trailer when it finally went to the scrappies after 35 years but can't now find the sketch I made. It was an excellent device and was stable at an indicated 90-odd.

Do a bit of research on this point. Maybe someone still has one of those trailers. Come in cleanorbust, who has.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

only need a certificate if you are manufacturing to sell

You need an SVA to manufacture, or an IVA inspection if you build your own, or low quantities

but you can always do what technowaldo says suggests ... :D

Edited by suzuki250

I can assure you it doesn't move an inch. (a gutter for the tyres would make it even better of course, I've got a rubber mat under the rear tyre to prevent sideways movement)

I've got this technique from a motorcycle magazine when they tested trailers and different ways to strap motorcycles down.

When you've got the chance you should try for yourself