Free Trials Training Youtube Clips

sherconoob

Throwing together a series of vids on basic trials techniques for the club I joined a few months back, to repay them for helping a noob out so much. Keen on feedback to make sure the information is accurate. Keeping them fairly general but bits will be specific to Australia e.g. we don't have the non-stop rule yet. Available as text files from the club site here.

GENERAL TRIALS INFORMATION
Setting up your trials bike
How to walk a section
Pre-competition mechanical inspection & other pre-ride check lists
How to spot for another trials rider
Building man made obstacles & a practice course

BASIC TRIALS TECHNIQUES
Balancing on a trials bike
Full lock turns and pivot turns
Body positioning
Wheelies on a trials bike
Riding on rocks & creek beds
Riding in soft sand

INTERMEDIATE TRIALS TECHNIQUES
Double blips and zaps
Hopping the rear wheel
Hopping the front wheel
Using the bashplate (skidpan)
Steep climbs

Creek beds & wet rocks

ADVANCED TRIALS TECHNIQUES
How to splatter (or spat)
Holding pressure
How to do floater turns
Jumping gaps
Flip turns

Hopping for traction

EXAMPLES OF SECTIONS IN VARIOUS GRADES
Specific to Australia but should still serve as a general guide.
Intro grade
Clubman grade
C grade
A & B grades

CROSS TRAINING: TRIALS TECHNIQUES APPLIED TO DIRT RIDING
I had a lot of guys asking about cross training so started a page here about the trials techniques that can be adapted to enduro bikes. Almost all of the top extreme enduro riders are ex-trials champs so they must be on to something!: Graham Jarvis, Jonny Walker, Chris Birch, David Knight< Andreas Lettenbichler and Taddy Blazusiak.

Here is the first trials vid on how to balance on a trials bike. I just read the balance thread in this section and found out I missed mentioning that tire pressures are critical in learning to balance, doh. I figure i can put missing info in a note at the end of the vid.

Edited by sherconoob
  • Like 4

Other than not getting to see the rider do a backflip off of his balanced bike, I thought it was Great, Sherconoob!!! :rotfl:

I thought it was really good. I don't have time right now to "subscribe"; are there more of these? I liked the "ride along the log" deal; it gave me an idea for a practice deal here on my property. I've always got trees, or parts of them, falling down everytime we get some wind. Some of these might get called into duty as trials practice obstacles, instead of the usual firewood........

Jimmie

Added in EDIT: I was gluing the mud flap to back of my new Gas Gas air box tonight, so had to "bag out" quickly while ago, before the glue totally set up. Later, I did watch the other, nicely done vid on turns (more like that needs to be emphasized at the Novice & Intermediate levels), and subscribed. As somewhat of a bonus for us folks watching, it appears you guys have fun when you ride together! Very Cool! Thanks!

Edited by mr neutron

Other than not getting to see the rider do a backflip off of his balanced bike, I thought it was Great, Sherconoob!!! :rotfl: I liked the "ride along the log" deal; it gave me an idea for a practice deal here on my property. I've always got trees, or parts of them, falling down everytime we get some wind. Some of these might get called into duty as trials practice obstacles, instead of the usual firewood........

Jimmie

thanks jimmie, they are a fun bunch to ride with. i am still terrible at riding logs and falling into the trap of mainly practicing the stuff i'm relatively okay at...

below is the second one i've just finished. i'm posting the info as text on the club's website here as well in case anyone wants to print it out.

Other than not getting to see the rider do a backflip off of his balanced bike, I thought it was Great, Sherconoob!!! :rotfl:

hehe, that's a bit of a running joke with these guys! the guy in the blue t-shirt wants to do a backflip one day so he and his brother are always yelling out "do a backflip" whenever someone does something a bit out of their comfort zone.

just posted this one on cornering yesterday. all of the trials training stuff i've seen says keep your shoulders in line with the bars but someone did say he wasn't taught that way, keen to hear other experienced riders on this.

good link, cascao. i've been getting tips from the A and B grade riders in the clubs for each video but also double checking them with the info on various trials DVDs and also the info from the trials training center so hoping the info is good.

the main issue then is with the advanced techniques is hoping our riders are doing it right... just posted one about splatters and it's our junior rider who is currently in B grade. from what i've seen i think he's doing it correctly but i can always add comments to the video if experienced riders can see he's not quite got it right.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, great if they can help others outside of my club. having issues with the latest one on double blips and zaps. internationally there seems to be a consensus on what a double blip is, and how to do it. but there's a lot of variation on exactly what a zap is and how to do it.

on mid-sized obstacles a lot of riders place their front near or actually on top of the obstacle before using the clutch, throttle and body weight to launch the bike up and over. various training dvds and info on other sites support this but some more recent trainers say to still ram the front wheel into the obstacle around two thirds to three quarters of the way up the obstacle, as is done for the double blip to compress the suspension and get extra lift.

we have an interclub trial so i'm going to ask all the A and B grade riders for their opinions on this. for the time being, i've put an annotation in the video saying there are at least two schools of though on this. it's all hypothetical for me at this stage, i haven't even started doing zaps yet!

"people responsible for laying out sections are a cruel and sadistic mob" :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am enjoying the series of videos. some good info there.

Have you considered a video on proper crashing techniques?

Seen far too many riders hold onto the bike for too long and end up in a bad situation, where as if they just chucked the bike away they would have been fine...........bike would be broke but rider would be ok.

definitely on the list, zippy. filmed some steep climbs last weekend and the guys were saying to dig the bars in if you fall. one guy tried on this rock face when he came off but of course the bar wouldn't dig in so he and the bike slid and bounced about 40 feet back down. got the whole thing of film too!

• Like 1